Cannondale SM800 1987

clockworkgazz

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
This wee beast was collected at Drumlanrigg from a kind retrobiker called Sheffield- cheers mate. Seem to have fallen in love with this late eighties period which is weird as I got into the scene latter but no matter.

It is really in great nick, was going to touch it up but as it's Al will leave it as god intended. It is one of the 46'ers and I am really intrigued to see how she rides, think she may be a nibble climber but with a mule like kick on the rocky descents :LOL:

Strange mix of components as it has campag shifters, seatpost and rear der with a mavic bottom bracket (the BB has been properly reamed however the threads do look ok so not sure why this was done?) suntour xc 9000 front der., hubs and roller cams but with shimano levers.

Does not correspond to any of the catalogues I have seen but it could have been a European sold one? The decals are wrong to but paint seems orig. And kind of wondering on the forks as it does not have the additional leafs on top that the catalogue bikes have, it is smooth, is this a replacement? Any knowledge on this era and bike would be cool fellas.

Trying to resist the period correctness monkey wispering in my ear as that way garage queeness lies :twisted:

Might be able to track down the campy chainset and beartrap pedals along with handlebars but will need to make the usual offering to the retro goddess later. Will also need some grips any suggestions?

dalerder.jpg

daleBB.jpg

dalestube.jpg

dalercams.jpg

dalefork.jpg

dalestem.jpg

dale-2.jpg

Thats lovely, very jealous :mrgreen: I think this may have been the first mountain bike I ever remember. There used to be an ad in an old bike mag ('bicycle'?) of a dale like this, I remember it caught my roadie eyes a bit. First dibs when ya punt it :LOL:

Dr S":1cxu9s28 said:
What's the frame number Gazz?

22041487014 which I thought was 14th run of the batch made on the 14th of April 1987 however it is 18 inch ctoc so confused with the 22?

You can have first dibs kaiser but I think this is a keeper ;)

Looks great ;)

head badge is on at the wrong angle though, should be reading 'cannondale' from bottom left upto to top centre :cool:
(resprayed? :? )

Gc

Paint is in great shape, so could be, and the head decal is a latter type should be the wee train station one and the cannondale decal should be on the top tube? I have a campy headset which was on it orig. Which is strange :?

There was always a lot of deviation from the cataloge specs at cannondale in those days. My original SM600 that i bought back in late 86 was green (as per catalogue) but had a Stronglight headset and shimao deerhead instead of tange and Suntour. The 'dale i have now was originally slate grey which was listed as the colour for the 24" rear wheel model only although its a 26" wheel model. This one also had a Stronglight headset. It could have been changed at some point as the original wore out but its a bit of a coincidence plus two things..Stronglight headsets are needle bearing and never wear out and if it did why change it to an older headset several years down the line? Period correctnes wasnt always so important back then.
As for the forks, strange one. Earlier ones had a squared off crown and later ones were canti.

Si

why thank you kind sir, don't think I fancy doing the black at glentress on it but it is uber comfy, a bike to ride all day on, albeit over more rolling countryside ;)

Back