Old Clockwork rebuild.

nick_d

Dirt Disciple
Hi all, first post so please be gentle.... :LOL:
I have an orange clockwork LX dating back to about 1992/3 - I've had it from new and it has had very little use for the last 10 years. Its in a matt (powdercoat???) orange colour which in my opinion looks loads better than the orange/white fade that you see most of them in. I was thinking about buying a new FS bike and almost have a few times (looking at a Five as I loved and still love my old bike) but think its about time I lavish a bit of care and attention on the clockwork. Its absolutely standard at the moment but I've got the upgrade bug, partly as a result of this ****dy site. I've just bought a pair of RC36 Stealths for a bit of bounce and a set of HS33s to stop me, both courtesy of RAFbikes (thanks staf). Probably a bit long for the bike but I've always wanted some Pace forks and couldn't find any with a 1" steerer. So, what should I do next with it? The only thing really wrong with it is that the bottom bracket has a bit of play, what would be a good match for the bike? (I have a yearning for a Royce from the old days, but maybe there;s something more modern that would be better and cheaper...)
Ideas gratefully received....
Nick
ps I'll get the camera out tomorrow and add a few pics to add a bit of interest..

looking forward to the pics like to see this orange that is better than the fade ;)

Why spend lots of mulla on a BB, spend the dosh on a saddle or wheels, they will look better and shed a good bit more weight IMHO.

Just out of interest, although I've go the original invoice and brochure somewhere, I believe there's a way of finding out the build date from the chassis number, which is A3?9A0114. The third digit looks like an 8 but there's only the top half of it visible, so I would think its most likely an 8 or possibly a 0. How do I interpret the serial number?
Thanks in advance?
Nick

I'm thinking of changing the BB as its the only bit that's not really working 100% and there's a little play in it. I like things to work properly.. :D And that's why I'm asking - what would be a good BB for the bike rather than wasting cash unnecessarily. The saddle looks sh**e - its the original corvo one so that would be a good place to start as you suggest Gazz... :cool:
Nick

nick_d":wbhxdiem said:
Just out of interest, although I've go the original invoice and brochure somewhere, I believe there's a way of finding out the build date from the chassis number, which is A3?9A0114. The third digit looks like an 8 but there's only the top half of it visible, so I would think its most likely an 8 or possibly a 0. How do I interpret the serial number?
Thanks in advance?
Nick

Sounds like a 1993 frame from the serial number. If the second number's a 0 then I think it would have been made in september of that year.

Get some pictures up and lets have a look! :D

Is it anything like this one?

The right colour for an Orange IMPO.

Attachments

• 1993 or 94 Clockwork size 17.jpg
    1993 or 94 Clockwork size 17.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 1,369
WHen I work out how to upload pics I'll be able to show you! But yes, very similar!! Having trouble with file sizes - is there a 2mb limit for the gallery or something?
Cheeers, Nick

Download microsoft image resizer from there power toys
then right click on image and select small med or large , thats it, large works fine.

Mark

Mark65":1goiktw4 said:
Download microsoft image resizer from there power toys
then right click on image and select small med or large , thats it, large works fine.

Mark

Thanks Mark, I used to use Power Toys on my old computer but couldn't find it for *&&^^%* Vista. Found a ported version eventually...

Latest posts

Back