94 Weight weenie dale. Complete. 17.89lbs.

kaiser

Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
MacRetro Rider
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
I'd recently bought this frame for the princely sum of £5 :) but wondered what to do with it. I liked hoegaardenadds1 del boy idea and thought I'd do something similar. The idea was to build a weight weenie singlespeed that could go offroad but would be used for commuting, I'd keep tabs on the cost and weight and see what could be acheived, ideally sub20lb for under a ton seemed a good target. Unfortunately/fortunately I have a load of parts lying around and to build something from scratch and buy it all would have been a bit daft so the plan was modified to use whatever I had and try to reduce the weight without spending £££ Most of the stuff I'm using has been an ebay or retrobike bargain or I've had from BITD.

EDIT: Now complete. Final weight 17.89lbs

5404822766_15e38fcf86_b.jpg

Frame: Cannondale 3.8 series 1792g +hanger 20g
Forks:1" Tange ahead, uncut, 839g
Front Wheel: LX parrallax hub on a 230sbp, 784g
Rear Wheel: LX parrallax hub on a 230sbp, 952g
Skewers:30g
Cranks: Sugino mighty 900, 454g
Brakes: Unknown CNC jobbies 360g
Brake straddle hanger: Avid TriDangle 8g
Grips: Bonty foam, 22g
Seat clamp:10g
Brake levers: Dia compe SS-5 160g
Bars: Ritchey WCS, 124g
Stem: control tech, 154g
Headset: Ritchey, 108g
Seat post: USE+Shim 203g +24g
Saddle: SLR 136g
Canti hanger: Zoom 18g
Chain ring bolts: SRP 7g
Chainring: TA specialites 32g
Xlite headset tensioner 24g

Project was finished and unveiled at the Pitlochry meet were it won the lightest bike of the meet :D There are still some weight reduction measures to make and I'm hoping to get it into the low 17's possibly sub. I've not counted the coat but it should be well under £200 which I'm happy about. Surprisingly enjoyed riding it too, the lack of weight is great fun and the worry of the tyres was unfounded. it will be staying as a winter rider and a pet weenie project.

In the pipeline are some tuned dia compe levers courtesy of Mikee , a lighter bottom bracket and a tuned chainset. I'll also modify the dropouts to get rid of the hanger. Next I'll make a calculated effort to build a weenie budget wheelset.
:D

got the hanger in my pocket right now :) ;) - I can post it or give it to Gaz next week, PM me details if you want it posted.

Give it to gazz :D It'll be an excuse to pop up and have a rifle about his drawers.

Had a wee clean of the frame, TK had done a fine job but I had a poke about a few bits of remaining paint, then gave the frame the once over with a scotchbrite pad. Lost 2g :LOL: I've also found a WCS stem which with the reducer comes in at 124g :) and I've picked a set of forks, 1" tange jobs whixh I had powder coated black yonks ago, not that light at 860g but they have a canti doodah attached and the steerer is uncut so should shed a few g's there too.

jimi is a dab hand at drilling out cranks, give that a go ;) and I have some very light weight plastic spd's with only a few small cracks which would really save some weight albeit they are spd's not egg whisk dodaas! What size post does it take- got a nice moby 27mm ;)

if you're an SPD user, try and find some M540s

they are the sweet spot between "light" and "expensive"

Cheers folks, I run eggbeaters so there fairly light as is, might try to keep my eye out for a bargain light set though.

Resurrected for the Dunkeld weight weenie challenge!

5231264603_ff7fc85f33_b.jpg

Back