Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:19 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:01 pm 
South East AEC
South East AEC

Looks a bit like the Evans mountain bike, have a look at this. http://www.bikebrothers.co.uk/evans_files/brochure/p04.jpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:54 am 
King of the Skip Monkeys
King of the Skip Monkeys

TheGreenRabbit wrote:
Looks a bit like the Evans mountain bike, have a look at this. http://www.bikebrothers.co.uk/evans_files/brochure/p04.jpg

must be a subliminal thing - very close!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:52 am 
Retro Guru

Most bikes of that era look pretty similar, really. Not sure about the Overbury's thing - I've never seen a lugged one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:56 pm 
King of the Skip Monkeys
King of the Skip Monkeys

MikeD wrote:
Most bikes of that era look pretty similar, really. Not sure about the Overbury's thing - I've never seen a lugged one.

then you havent lived!

very early Overbury's from Mr.K

The Guv's Overubury's

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:16 pm 
Retro Guru

Fantastic :-) Knew about Pioneers, didn't know about Classics. Every day's an education round these parts :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:08 pm 
Retro Guru

Location: On the edge of nowhere - still searching for the middle.
I think that I might be able to shed some light on this frame of yours. My boss has a bike that he bought in the mid eighties from a builder in London somewhere. he did tell me who it was but I can't remember :roll: . He used the bike to tour several places around the world. The bike in question is currently in our warehouse and I think that it's exactly the same as yours. I'm fairly sure that it has the same concave feature at the top of the seat stays where they meet the seat tube. It also has the same guide followed by a stop for the rear gear cable that yours has on the downtube. The lugs look the same too from memory and even the geometry looks the same. Also has the rear upper rack mounts and the same half circular rear brake hanger. It even has the twin rack mounts on the front fork iirc. I will try to remember to take my camera to work on Monday, then I will take some pics to verify the similarities. I am afraid that you will need to be patient until then ..... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:30 pm 
King of the Skip Monkeys
King of the Skip Monkeys

Prometheus wrote:
I think that I might be able to shed some light on this frame of yours. My boss has a bike that he bought in the mid eighties from a builder in London somewhere. he did tell me who it was but I can't remember :roll: . He used the bike to tour several places around the world. The bike in question is currently in our warehouse and I think that it's exactly the same as yours. I'm fairly sure that it has the same concave feature at the top of the seat stays where they meet the seat tube. It also has the same guide followed by a stop for the rear gear cable that yours has on the downtube. The lugs look the same too from memory and even the geometry looks the same. Also has the rear upper rack mounts and the same half circular rear brake hanger. It even has the twin rack mounts on the front fork iirc. I will try to remember to take my camera to work on Monday, then I will take some pics to verify the similarities. I am afraid that you will need to be patient until then ..... :D

That would be cooler than Mr. Cool Pants of 324b Cool St, New Coolston, Coolsestershire. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:53 am 
Retro Guru

OK. I have some news.

I have spoken to the boss and he told me that he got the bike from somone called 'Jeff Russ' from 'Bell Street Bikes' in London. The only problem we have now is that I gather that Jeff was not the builder. He had the bikes built to sell in the shop. So we still don't know who actually built it but it's a new starting point for finding out more info.

The bad news. I am sitting here at work and I forgot my camera this morning so can't do the pics but I can confirm that eveything looks identical to your frame. The only bit I can see which differs is that the eyelet for the front rack mount is brazed about 4" higher on the leading edge of the front fork.

I will try to sort it out tommorrow :roll: :oops:
Dave.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:43 pm 
Special Retro Guru
Special Retro Guru

Prometheus wrote:
The only problem we have now is that I gather that Jeff was not the builder. He had the bikes built to sell in the shop.

I believe that's the same for the unbranded 531 frame and 501 forks I bought as a frameset from a LBS, BITD (95).

Just some general spec of 531 / 501 frames (albeit there seems some variations) built, some unbranded, some branded or badged as various makes.

Last edited by Neil on Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:55 pm 
Retro Guru

Ok. Remembered the camera today so here's several pics for comparison. What do you think, is it the same?