1985 Raleigh Maverick

DeletedUser006

Old School Grand Master
Oh no, What have I done :oops:

I have just picked up this, Ok its nothing special but for me it is the 1st MTB I ever cast my eyes upon when a lad and had many go's on one of these. This i belive to be a 1985 model which was raleighs 1st mountain bike they produced. I have been on the look out for a long time but the usually involve a stepladder to get onto, Luckily for me this is the smallest size they made :cool:. This is not to be confused with the POS that followed that were based upon BMX bottom brackets, BMX headsets and pressed steel chainsets :roll:

I have literally just got this as you see it which I think is in good honest never done much condition. Its missing the original bars and stem (not such a bad thing) & tyres are bloddy awful.

I need to sort out the brakes and gears big time as the cables have little movement.

Hope you enjoy seeing it and rest assured you will see it at a retro bike meet soon ;)

raleigh_maverick_187.jpg

001-2.jpg

Update - Completed Pics Below

Wow, this brings back memories! I had the Maverick with the brown and "champagne" colour scheme...

Gravy Monster":zz8vbrk4 said:
This is not to be confused with the POS that followed that were based upon BMX bottom brackets, BMX headsets and pressed steel chainsets :roll:

...yeah, it might have been that one. No front mech, only a shifter for the 5 or 6 speeds on the back.

JohnH":2cv8kml9 said:
Wow, this brings back memories! I had the Maverick with the brown and "champagne" colour scheme...

Gravy Monster":2cv8kml9 said:
This is not to be confused with the POS that followed that were based upon BMX bottom brackets, BMX headsets and pressed steel chainsets :roll:

...yeah, it might have been that one. No front mech, only a shifter for the 5 or 6 speeds on the back.

The champagne one was the same era and was same f&f if I recall some even had side pull brakes too :shock: , The raleigh mustang, yellow white maverik were the POS I was really referring too ! But POS they were they did get people into the revloution of mountain bikes way back when :cool:

Gravy Monster":gbr2rvsx said:
The champagne one was the same era and was same f&f if I recall some even had side pull brakes too :shock:
You're absolutely right, GM! When I think back, it had caliper brakes front and back! Ooooh dear! :? :(

JohnH":3498c77f said:
Gravy Monster":3498c77f said:
The champagne one was the same era and was same f&f if I recall some even had side pull brakes too :shock:
You're absolutely right, GM! When I think back, it had caliper brakes front and back! Ooooh dear! :? :(

Yep my first ATB was a 5 speed Maverick with caliper brakes :LOL:
I was so envious of all other bikes with V-brakes :cry:

Back