An Intense in here?

Curly68

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Well another to add to my collection. Missed on an old team Tracer this week :( but this is nice! Doing some digging to find out exactly what it is and waiting for Mr Steber himself to confirm. :cool:
He made something called a prototype in 1995 and sounds like this frame. Unfortunately, the previous owner had the seatstays changed to disc mounts and hasn't got the old ones with the canti bosses on.
It looks like a 1st gen M1 front with an old spyder rear! When I know what it is I can start building it up with period correct parts. It doesn't seem to need a front mech though! ;)

IMG_3710.jpg

IMG_3711.jpg

IMG_3712.jpg

IMG_3713.jpg

Yep, looks similar to the original Intense Spyder I reckon, Palmer had one before the M1 was developed. Have a look on Google images for some early shots of Shaun Palmer.

Palmer's had a more monocoque front end though if my memory serves me correctly.

I suspect even the front end may be a little newer than you expect, but am quite happy to be proven wrong.

Nice to see it went to a good home! (I put a bid on that one too! ;) )
I'm also after an old Intense, here's a few images I've collected that you should enjoy! :cool:

- The polished Prototype is like yours, this fine example was listed on ebay a couple of years back. Wish I'd put a bid in now! :evil:
- The crazy-looking Spyder (like the sweet team bike that was just listed - it was a first generation Spyder not a Tracer) was also on ebay a while back, again I'm still kicking myself for not bidding!!!!
- If you look behind the amazing 'Alien' M1, hanging on the wall is a green Prototype and a blue Spyder...

If you dig deep on Pinkbike there's a few gems there too ;)

Attachments

• M1 Aliens.jpg
    M1 Aliens.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 2,448
  • Spyder PRP1.jpg
    Spyder PRP1.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 2,449
  • Prototype.jpg
    Prototype.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 2,449
Thanks for the pics Beep. Got the last two already but hadn't seen the polished prototype. Can get the graphics made up now.
Seems mine is missing the spigot for the front mech. Wether that was left off or cut off remains to be sorted.
Will have to wait until after Sea Otter to know what Mr Steber thinks.

What does the serial number say?
I know that two of the prototypes that I have just didn't have serial numbers at all. On one I had them stamp one in with a number I chose. A third one I have has the original team rider's name and production date as the serial number. That number should help.

You have two prototypes? Pics please! Frame number is 961107 from what I could see, maybe that works out as the date it was built or something similar?

Back