1992 Kona Lava Dome - Updated 4 Oct 08

Tallpaul

Gold Trader
I once, foolishly bought a shed of a Kona Lava Dome off of eBay. It looked a bit like this:

DSC00451.jpg

It was advertised as a 1998 but turned out to be a 1992 in a nasty colour with the wrong stickers. So, i decided to spend far too much money on it and following several builds i've reached this point with pretty much full M900 and (excusing a couple of minor exceptions) every part correct for 1992 :)

Frame - 1992 Kona Lava Dome 19"
Fork - Project Two Triple Butted

Headset - XTR M901
Stem - Syncros Cattleprod
Handlebar - Answer Hyperlite
Grips - ODI Attack

Brakes - XTR M900
Brake Levers - Suntour XC Pro

Shifters - XT Thumb-shifters
Front Derailleur - XTR M901
Rear Derailleur - XTR M910
Cassette - XTR M900 12 - 28
Chain - HG91
Cranks - XTR M900
Chainrings - XTR M900A
Pedals - PD-M737

Quick Releases - Dura Ace
Rims - Mavic 231 CD
Hubs - XTR M900 (28h Front, 32h Rear)
Tyres - Onza Racing Porc's II

Saddle - Flite Ti
Seatpost - Syncros

Weight - 23.5 pounds

DSC01211.jpg

DSC01213.jpg

DSC01214.jpg

DSC01216.jpg

DSC01217.jpg

DSC01218.jpg

DSC01219.jpg

DSC01220.jpg

DSC01221.jpg

DSC01222.jpg

Nice job... the only thing letting it down now is that rusty screw on the thumbies; time for a wee dod of black paint or something :) The mounts on mine have gone the same way but I've been storing a brand new, unopened set for years in case I ever get round to a full rebuild.

How much was the paint job, all in - did you strip it or leave that to Argos? Is it well laquered? Certainly looks spot on in the pictures, it's how well it's likely to last I'm interested in...

Cheers,

AJ

ajm":2j2q4y56 said:
Nice job... the only thing letting it down now is that rusty screw on the thumbies; time for a wee dod of black paint or something :) The mounts on mine have gone the same way but I've been storing a brand new, unopened set for years in case I ever get round to a full rebuild.

How much was the paint job, all in - did you strip it or leave that to Argos? Is it well laquered? Certainly looks spot on in the pictures, it's how well it's likely to last I'm interested in...

Cheers,

AJ

:p Yeah, alright; There are a few rusty bolts dotted about. I'll get them sorted at some point. If you want to be extra picky the barrel adjusters on the brake levers don't match either :)

The paint job is first class; give Argos a ring and they'll sort you out with a quote. Don't email them though, you'll never get an answer ;)

Ah, but the barrels are as shiny as the rest of the bike so I didn't notice them ;-)

I have the 2 finger Kona levers on my Fire Mountain. Really nice to use and look cool, I've always liked them...

Cheers,

AJ

Sorry to pick faults but the cable outers seem a tad long. IMHO ;)

Oh, replace the thumbie screws with bottle cage bolts.

Stick Legs":248nfqie said:
Sorry to pick faults but the cable outers seem a tad long. IMHO ;)

Yup, you're right! They're about 2x too long :) Something i did v late at night and in my excitement of having her up and running i haven't corrected.

ameybrook":248nfqie said:
Very nice Paul. The black/white combo looks great. How does it ride?

The ride is about as fast and nimble as i've experienced. I'm extremely pleased that a 15 year wait for a steel Kona has exceeded expectations :)

Latest posts

Back