1986 Fat Chance

ridevintagemtb

BoTY Winner
Kona Fan
Here we go...

I bought this on impulse, and after some inspection and thought, I decided it wasn't for me. I Put in the side of the garage and forgot about it for awhile, and it wasn't until I got my '89 Wicked until I gave it another look.

The frame and fork were a complete mess. Bad DIY paintjob that was flaking everywhere, BB was like box of rocks, headset was missing balls, etc:

b855_12.jpg

A little TLC and a new powdercoat can go along way:

DSCN0742.jpg

DSCN0749.jpg

DSCN0750.jpg

DSCN0754.jpg

DSCN0752.jpg

DSCN0755.jpg

DSCN0747.jpg

DSCN0746.jpg

DSCN0751.jpg

DSCN0753.jpg

DSCN0748.jpg

Parts are for the most part period correct. A little bit newer than '86 stuff but not by much. Full M730 with the exception of hubs and cranks. The saddle is just some old GT knock-off I had kicking around. Its comfy though.

I've only ridden it here to the office, and it rides well. Very laid back geometry. The bio-pace may take some getting used to, if I decide to hang on to it.

Enjoy :D

beautiful - I love it when you can take what looks a wreck and give it a new lease of life with some paint and tlc :D

tlc is what that frame deserves after being abandoned and being misused. Love that paintjob. It could use some extra decals though. Check the for sale threads at fatcogs.com. Rody has some spare Yo! decals and you could use the flag and Chris' signature. Repro Wicked decals are on the way.

Ah mate, what a Beauty..! Really looks like the kinda bike I'd dream of owning BITD :cool:

DSCN0742.jpg

Nice job man!

Guess got the Psycho's that were on ebay then! ;)

Seriously though, tob job and looks really 'factory'! :cool:

Nice colour :cool: , what is it :?: and a nice simple build :cool: , I 've got biopace HG on my saracen and I actually get on well with it

you do seem to have a nice eye for picking a good colour dont ya ;)

That is really nice (and the colour does suit it very well.) I'm interested to know how well those cable guides work?

ajm":18dsp2u4 said:
That is really nice (and the colour does suit it very well.) I'm interested to know how well those cable guides work?

In truth, the cable guides are shite :D All due respect to CC, but they really add on alot of drag to the shift system. I think I may be at fault a bit because there was a ton of powder coat residue left underneath the cable guides that I couldn't clean up.

But hey, I think its part of the charm of old mountain bikes. I look at frames like this and I see a bunch of brilliant people hashing out ideas, trying new things, etc. Some worked, some didn't. I can only imagine the technology they had to work with to make the most comfortable riding bike back then. Over the bb cable guides, u-brakes, super raked out headtubes. I never had any appreciation for them much until I got my hands dirty building this bike.

The color is called "candy blue." The guy actually messed up. He was supposed to put a layer of chrome underneath (similar to the color of my Lava Dome), but he forgot to. So I got it half off (price), and I like it better I think. Suits the 'time period' more.

Very nice Mike very nice. Love the colour. Must get on with mine but not much time at the moment, if i get any spare time am out riding (on the bike!).

Back