Early 90's Mountain Goat Whiskeytown Racer

Alex Creasey

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi all,

Well, I've owned my Mountain Goat from new and was a birthday present from my parents when I was 16 or 17 to replace my 1988 Kona Cinder Cone (which I still have)! The frame came from a shop in Essex called Channels which was run by one of my Dad's clients and was one of two frames they had.... The other was raced by their mechanic and was the maroon/yellow splatter from memory. Anyway, I'm pretty sure both originally came through Shockwave into the UK.

I've used this as my main bike pretty much non stop since then and still do today! It's getting a bit of a makeover at present as it needs a new chain, cassette, cables and a blimin good service but can't wait to get riding again :cool:.

It did originally come with the colour coded RockShox but I seemed to have a habit of breaking them (3 sets) despite my rather weedy 9st weight.

The only pic I have at present (taken last year)....

Frame: 18" Whiskeytown Racer team green / orange (frame No: 1792WO42)

Fork: Magura / Rond Quake

Headset: Dia-Compe
Stem: Ahead Stem
Handlebar: Club Roost Go Fast Riser
Grips: I know they're blue!

Brakes: XT V Brakes
Brake Pads: XT
Brake Cables: Shimano
Brake Levers: Shimano XT

Shifters: Shimano XT Thumbshifters
Front Derailleur: Shimano XT
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT
Derailleur Cables: Shimano
Cassette: Shimano XT 8 SP
Chain: Shimano XT
Cranks: Middleburn RS7
Crank Bolts: N/A
Chainrings: Middleburn
Chainring bolts: N/A
Bottom Bracket: Shimano
Pedals: Time Atac

Hub Skewers: Unknown Titanium (Bought at a bike show - Very early 90's)
Rims:SPIN
Tyres: Can't remember
Tubes: Specialized

Saddle: Flite Titanium
Seatpost: Mountain Goat

Thanks for looking :cool: .
Alex.

yes the frame is truely lovely, but the build needs a fair amount of work. those wheels on that bike are just wrong.

I can understand the Spins won't be for everyone... At the time they were a great solution to stop bending wheels and have been almost faultless since the day I bought them...

What would you guys suggest as replacements?

I'm pretty sure I've got a set of those hanging in the garage.... Have def got some old Hope hubs on Mavic rims... All in a slightly sorry state though hence why I got the Spins (which may look better on the new project).

Will have to have a look at the weekend.
Cheers!

Spins are like marmite. I expecet to come back on here later and find people saying to keep them on!

Post up some new photos if you make any changes. :D

Nice frame .

but as said above , Spins dont go well on a steel bike , they are too bulky compared to the thin tubes .

Back