1989 Diamondback Axis XT

Rampage

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I had been looking for a bike to refurbish for some time, ideally a Kona.
I was taking rubbish down the local tip one day, and noticed a bike, I was about to carry on walking past it when I noticed the XT front mech, then the XT shifters. There were a couple of parts missing, stem bolt being one of them, but I found a box of bike parts not far from it with the rest of the parts in!
It cost me £5!

This was it:

cimg1576k.jpg

cimg1578.jpg

cimg1577.jpg

About 3 months later I managed to find the time to start work on it (after moving house etc).
It turned out not to be in bad condition.
There were a couple of patches of paint missing on the frame, but these were painted with a generic white paint.
Most parts were on the bike or in the box, the only parts missing were: chain, rear mech and saddle. Everything else seemed to be the original (or same as) parts.
After several weeks of a complete strip and clean, touching up and replacing a couple of broken parts she was ready for the Cannock Chase RetroBike ride, which was the first time I had ridden her.

I was very surprised how good this bike was to ride (apart from the squealing front brake). Probably the best frame I have ridden. It was good to use thumbshifters again! Everything performed perfectly on this first ride, nothing broke or needed adjusting.
The only thing I didn’t like was the head angle. The front wheel kept trying to wash out as it felt like there was too much body weight too far forward. The forks are too vertical, I am hoping a shorter stem will help to reduce this.

cimg2150.jpg

cimg2170.jpg

cimg2160erwv.jpg

cimg2178i.jpg

cimg2175t.jpg

cimg2169y.jpg

cimg2155d.jpg

cimg2176.jpg

cimg2182n.jpg

cimg1777.jpg

Frame: Diamondback Axis XT Tange Prestige DB main tubes

Fork: Tange straight blade Diamondback forks.

Headset: M730 Deore XT
Stem: Tioga T Bone 110mm
Handlebar: Tioga
Grips: Unknown Foam
Barends: Onza

Brakes: M730 Deore XT
Brake Pads: XT rear, Kool Stop front
Brake Cables: Oversize
Cantilever cable hangers: Shimano
Brake Levers: M733 Deore XT

Shifters: M730 Deore XT thumbshifters
Front Derailleur: M730 Deore XT
Rear Derailleur: STX-RC (LOOKING FOR M730 XT!)
Derailleur Cables: Jagwire
Cassette: 7 Speed Shimano
Chain: Shimano 7 speed
Cranks: M730 Deore XT
Crank Bolts: Yes!
Chainrings: Specialized
Chainring bolts: Yes.
Bottom Bracket: Unknown cartridge bearing square taper
Pedals: Shimano DX (modern!)
Hub Skewers: Shimano
Rims: Araya RM-20
Hubs: M730 Deore XT
Nipples: Yes.
Spokes: Stainless
Tyres: Farmer John rear, Farmers John’s Cousin front
Tubes: Cheap.

Saddle: Tioga
Seatpost: SR Sakae
Seatpost Binder: Shimano

Weight: 27.5lb

Thanks very much :)

I've taken some more pictures today, it's a really hard bike to photograph, the paint seems to reflect as much light as it possibly can!

cimg2193.jpg

cimg2195x.jpg

cimg2194c.jpg

cimg2197.jpg

Thanks for getting the pics up of this beauty :cool:

I saw this at the Cannock ride and must say it looked pristine, It was also my fav bike of the ride ;)

Back