1991 Saracen Sahara SS

drystonepaul

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
You know how it is when you see something a bit colourful and bike shaped on eBay and you put in a low bid and then promptly forget about it?
Well I'd completely forgotten about this one until I was contacted with a second chance offer stating that the original winner had pulled out of the sale. I only bid on the bike based on the fact it was pick up only and pretty much in my home town.

So this morning, inspired by Eddie Izzard and with the knowledge that I'd been putting off training for my marathons later this year I put on my running shoes to run the 4 miles or so to pick the bike up and ride it back home again.
On the way there I was rather pleased when my legs didn't explode as anticipated and that the bike was just about rideable. Okay so the rear mech cable had snapped, the chain was slacker than a yokel's jaw and the brakes only sort of worked if you gave them advance notice in writing.
But I got back home alive and in one piece.

So this little runter, the bottom of the 1991 Saracen range, has been saved from a certain date with a skip based destiny and is now in my possession. It's more or less all original and, although well used and neglected, had been stored in a garage for the last 19 years. The frame is a reasonably lightweight Tange double butted affair, with the original stem and bars in pretty good condition too.
I have already removed the legendary 200GS chainset. It fell to the floor with a dull thud and I haven't been able to lift it since.
Also gone are the 200GS STI's which are probably as bad as catching STI's.

Anyway, now some pictures.

91Sahara01.jpg

91Sahara02m.jpg
91Sahara03m.jpg

91Sahara04s.jpg
91Sahara05s.jpg
91Sahara06s.jpg

91Sahara07m.jpg
91Sahara08m.jpg

So what to do with it...? Saracen Sahara Single Speed springs to mind...

Well its about ruddy time you started training for these marathons lad ! You are the Saracen saviour ! Hope to see the little "runter" out on the trails soon. ;)

Ah glad it went to a good home! Pretty similar to my first mountain bike but that was a slightly older model with a U brake.

Nice work, looking forward to seeing it built up!

I like it.

was the frame the same as others higher up in the range or exclusive to the sahara?

crud":38s35d4w said:
I like it.

was the frame the same as others higher up in the range or exclusive to the sahara?

According to the small section of 1991 Saracen brochure currently available, the Sahara had 'Tange Cromoly Double Butted Main Frame Tubing'.
Next up in the range the Tuftrax Extreme had 'Tange Cromoly Oversize Double Butted Tubing'.
Then the Andes had 'Tange Elliptical Profile Cromoly Double Butted Oversize Tubing'.
The Traverse Hydrotech is listed with 'Tange Elliptical Profile Cromoly Lite Double Butted Oversize Tubing'.

It reads almost as though the marketing people were playing a game which involved adding a new word each time.
So some subtle differences across the range it seems, probably based on whatever tubing and parts they had lying around at the time.

drystonepaul":ptg2t8uj said:
crud":ptg2t8uj said:
I like it.

According to the small section of 1991 Saracen brochure currently available, the Sahara had 'Tange Cromoly Double Butted Main Frame Tubing'.
Next up in the range the Tuftrax Extreme had 'Tange Cromoly Oversize Double Butted Tubing'.
Then the Andes had 'Tange Elliptical Profile Cromoly Double Butted Oversize Tubing'.
The Traverse Hydrotech is listed with 'Tange Elliptical Profile Cromoly Lite Double Butted Oversize Tubing'.

It reads almost as though the marketing people were playing a game which involved adding a new word each time.
So some subtle differences across the range it seems, probably based on whatever tubing and parts they had lying around at the time.

My '91 Traverse Hydrotech sounds exotic compared to the rest but trust me it's probably the heaviest out of all the lot :LOL:

Nice find Paul, I like the colours on that. So what's the plan for this? How many '91 Saracens have we between us now?
Your Sahara,
is that Tufftrax still on RB?
Gravy Monster's Trekker Hydrotech
My Traverse Hydrotech

We'll have to get together for a group shot, possibly on the upcoming Saracen meet ;)

Re: 1991 Saracen Sahara

drystonepaul":3hva08nr said:
You know how it is when you see something a bit colourful and bike shaped on eBay and you put in a low bid and then promptly forget about it?
Was this the one that started at 99p and sold for about 16 or 17 quid?

Back