1992 Alpinestars Cro-Mega now SS

ptr138

Dirt Disciple
Hi all!

All new to this forum as a poster. Been admiring your bikes as a guest up til now. :)
Started riding bikes again last year when I bought a Gary Fisher 700cc hybrid for commuting. Somehow I now own 3 bikes... One of them is this Alpinestars Cro-mega DX (1992 I think). The frame is ok (needs paint), but most components are pretty worn. So, plan is to make it a rideable, rigid mtb again, mostly using new components that are wallet-friendly. Second-hand-mtb-market is almost non-existing here in Sweden... This will be the 1st bike I really "rip apart" so progress will be slow but i'll hopefully get it together again. So far i've spent more money on tools than parts. :roll:

New BB and headset/stem/fork gets replaced 1st. Plan to use some Problem solvers headset-reducers to fit a 1 1/8 fork. Anyone used those?

Btw, thumbs up for Sinnett and your Alpine's, true inspiration!

Can't embed pics yet so check my User Gallery

Think that is the 1992 but Sinetti will let you know soon enough.

Lot of these popping out at the moment, going to post up some pics of my rebuid next week as i'm gathering parts. Always nice to compare.

Did you buy the frame only? If you get some cromo blade forks they came with originally you can use the standard 1 1/4 headset they came with. Your choice though, not sure how the reducers work :?

Interested to see how this build goes. Good luck fella :D

Interested to see how this build goes. Good luck fella Very Happy
thanks!

Did you buy the frame only? If you get some cromo blade forks they came with originally you can use the standard 1 1/4 headset they came with. Your choice though, not sure how the reducers work Confused

Got the original fork and headset. But I dont think the headset has seen any new grease in like 15 years.. Gonna show it to the LBS to see what he can make of it. Maybe a dremel polish and some new grease can fix it..

Btw the frame size.. Measured from the BB to top of seattube and got 48cm/19inch. But the top tube seems shorter than it should be on the 19".. could be measuring in the wrong way thou. Tbh the frame is a tad small for me, but I think its rideable... (6,2" 188cm) BMX? ;)

the victim closed to naked
main.php

Problem Solvers, in all their hitech glory :)
main.php

Glad to see another Alpinestar fan comes to the fold.

What colour is the frame? (if original paint) this will help us identify it, if you're having trouble with pics........

To be perfectly honest, you'll be better off retaining the original 1-1/4" headset and forks, there's plenty of NOS replacement headsets on ebay, and yeti/cannondale (to name but a few) offer alternative fork/stem combo's if you're not particularly happy with the Cro-Mo blades.

I have plenty of spare parts laying around, if you ever get desperate for an item.

Good luck with the build, I'd love to see some pictures of before, during and after the build is complete
Steve

To be perfectly honest, you'll be better off retaining the original 1-1/4" headset and forks, there's plenty of NOS replacement headsets on ebay, and yeti/cannondale (to name but a few) offer alternative fork/stem combo's if you're not particularly happy with the Cro-Mo blades.
I have plenty of spare parts laying around, if you ever get desperate for an item.
Good luck with the build, I'd love to see some pictures of before, during and after the build is complete
Steve

Cheers! I'll probably take your advice, rear wheel has sadly been replaced by the previous owner (some no-name hub and cassette). Better to spend some crowns on that than headset/fork/stem atm..

ptr138":2cwiv3f1 said:
Interested to see how this build goes. Good luck fella Very Happy
thanks!

Did you buy the frame only? If you get some cromo blade forks they came with originally you can use the standard 1 1/4 headset they came with. Your choice though, not sure how the reducers work Confused

Got the original fork and headset. But I dont think the headset has seen any new grease in like 15 years.. Gonna show it to the LBS to see what he can make of it. Maybe a dremel polish and some new grease can fix it..

Sounds a lot like mine. I got mine and it's seatpost was stuck solid like no other stuck seatpost I've ever seen, plus the headset was like yours, devoid of grease from the day it was purchased I reckon.

Like GT Steve says, i'd keep the original forks, they are excellent. I got a replacement NOS 1 1/4 headset from ebay, they come up on there quite often and check the for sale thread on here as well.

coomber":22eburw8 said:
I got mine and it's seatpost was stuck solid like no other stuck seatpost I've ever seen

I've really got to get pics of my latest acquisition up. I have 30mm poking out, of a 300+mm seatpost completely stuck in the seat-tube. I gave it a twist and the clamp-section came clean out. . . . . . .

I've now spent upwards of 6hrs carefully cutting the seatpost out, from the inside. :x :x :x

Back