Haro Extreme

lyledriver

Retro Newbie
Feedback
View
Here's my (new to me) Haro SexDream.. err.. Extreme.
I'm not sure of the year.. possibly 91/92?
It was gifted to me as a frameset.
When I got it, it came with the stock oversized quill stem, and some super narrow flat bars.
Its currently got 7spd XT thumbies and derailleurs, Random Shimano hubs. Rear rim is an Alex DH19 and front is a Sun DW6000.
I've been getting it dialed on some of the milder North shore trails out here. Its a super fun ride. The head angle is 72° and the wheelbase is quite short. With the narrow bar it actually felt too squirrely (and I'm used to riding rigid).. so I put on some wider risers (second pic) to slow the steering a touch.
No plans to go all period resto on it. I have already saved it from a life of bike polo, and brought it back where it belongs.
..and yes, it was BEGGING for pink grips and white cables.
Cheers,
Lyle

Attachments

• extremea.jpg
    extremea.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 2,499
  • extremeb.jpg
    extremeb.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 2,502
Welcome Lyle to RB!

Nice to see yet another canuck on this forum.

Love the Haro with the elevated chain stay! ;)

Well.. I've officially been bitten again. I cannot get enough of the trails out here. After last weekend's brutal descent of Mt. Seymour, I decided my little Tange straight blade fork just wasn't going to cut it. I threw a brand new OEM takeoff MZ1 fork on the Extreme. The fork has 100mm of travel, so my 72° HTA went to 67.5°. I have to learn how to ride the bike all over again. For a test session yesterday a few of our East Van crew took our hardtails to Mt. Fromme, and rode with Andrew Summers from Brodie bikes. He of course was on an all mountain fully, but was stoked to be riding with such foolish hooligans.

The Bikes:
4415424184_bac537235c_b.jpg

4415428698_7b60379dd7_b.jpg

4415425510_d471262bb0_b.jpg

4414659465_9109800a3c_b.jpg

(Yes that is a rigid dirt jumper with ONLY A REAR BRAKE! My friend James is an absolute certified nutjob, and made it down the mountain in one piece slaying everything in his path)

Here's the entrance to the first big log on 7Th Secret.. its only 4ft off the ground, but falling off to the left is further than that. It gets skinnier as you go:
4415397135_37734014da_b.jpg

Me letting James pass through a switchback (since he was essentially brakeless):
4415397959_25c1ee0741_b.jpg

Ironic old growth MTB parking:
4415409395_6cc1494e50_b.jpg

..and an animation I made of the second log of 7th secret. This one is wide enough, but its positioned straight down the hill, so its super intimidating, and you really have to keep your speed in check:
4416839129_f2f62a184d_o.gif

Overall, the fork worked great. I got the damping tuned within the first few sections of trail, and started to remember just how much faster suspension lets you go. I think with a shorter stem I'd be more confident putting more weight on the front wheel going down the gnarly stuff.

Back