Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:39 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Diablo bottom bracket
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:27 pm 

I’m still riding my red Diablo from 94 although only the frame, seatpost, front hub and the bottom bracket are still original. The bottom bracket has finally had it and I need to change it. You seem to know a bit about it so…… I’m thinking of fitting a Hope bottom bracket, can you see any problems with that or give me any tips?

Cheers

Paul

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:24 pm 
National & North West AEC

7 Parts wrote:
I’m still riding my red Diablo from 94 although only the frame, seatpost, front hub and the bottom bracket are still original. The bottom bracket has finally had it and I need to change it. You seem to know a bit about it so…… I’m thinking of fitting a Hope bottom bracket, can you see any problems with that or give me any tips?

Cheers

Paul

All depends on the cranks you're planning to fit. The BB shell is 68mm which is very common, but the axle length will be determined by the cranks. Let me know what cranks you're planning to fit and I should be able to tell you what size BB you'll need.
PM me the details and I'll get back to you.
In the meantime, let's see some pictures of your red Dyna Tech... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:54 pm 

I'll sort some pictures out of my Dyna Tech Encounter. I am planning on cleaning this up now I have stopped using it. I've got myself a MTRAX for my 20 mile round trip to work each day.

I still think that the Dyna Tech rides better than my Mtrax and it is the new Mtrax they have released.

Post subject: My old Diablo
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:19 am 

Here's my old Dynatec Diablo.
I'm have been doing 130 miles a week on it commuting to work for the last year, hence the state of it and having to replace lots of parts lately. About 7 years ago I decided that rather than get a new bike I'd stick with what I had and put quality British kit on it. Thats not that practical/possible for all parts, but there you go. I stuck on the forks, aheadset, saddle and V brakes. I also decided that as I wasn't really doing much serious off road any more that I would sit up a bit by shortening the distance to the bars, so I put a on a shorter stem and the bars both with a bit of a rise.
I think mine is a year or so later than the one you have as they seem to have changed the design of the rear brake cable guide behind the seat post.
If you do get carried away and do a full restoration I still have the original bars and bar ends if you need them.

Paul

Attachments:
Diablo Cranks.jpg
Diablo Cranks.jpg [ 70.1 KiB | Viewed 2040 times ]
Diablo Braze On.jpg
Diablo Braze On.jpg [ 76.58 KiB | Viewed 2040 times ]
Diablo Bars.jpg
Diablo Bars.jpg [ 31.52 KiB | Viewed 2040 times ]
Diablo 2.jpg
Diablo 2.jpg [ 82.68 KiB | Viewed 2040 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:34 pm 
Retro Guru

Nice bike Paul and a very clever repair with the putty :) . What size headtube is the Dynatech? I'm after a stem like your original one for my Dave Yates. PM me if it's 1" and you'd be prepared to let it go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:13 pm 

6.5x55 wrote:
Nice bike Paul and a very clever repair with the putty :) . What size headtube is the Dynatech? I'm after a stem like your original one for my Dave Yates. PM me if it's 1" and you'd be prepared to let it go.

Thanks for the comments.
The headtube is 1"1/8th so unfortunately the original stem wouldn't be much use to you. Good luck with the search. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:36 pm 
Retro Guru

Nice to see a Dyna-Tech with muck on it !

Garage queens have their place, but they were meant to be ridden :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 1:23 am 

Ridden a plenty over the last few months. More pictures added to the first page.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:34 am 

The trusty Dyna Tech was my chosen bike for all five of my laps at the 2010 Mountain Mayhem 24 hour event. I rode as part of the four man North West Area Team, between us completing a respectable 18 laps.
The full Mountain Mayhem Aftermath Thread is here.
After trawling through thousands of images online I eventually found these images.

Despite taking two spare retro bikes, this was the one I started out on and liked riding so much that it stayed with me throughout.
Great bike and a great picture.

June 2010: Mountain Mayhem: Retrobike North West Area Team

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:40 am 
Deputy National AEC
Deputy National AEC

This is a great bike that gets the wheels ridden off it every week. Must be the best £16 ever spent in RB history.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next