Saracen Trekker Comp XT 1990

Piers

Retro Guru
Rather battered and scuffed, my resurected Saracen from 1990/2.
The second bike I built up from a frame (coutessy of Heffs). The first was a Saracen Eiger Team for my girlfriend of the season ;) I bet she still has it in mint condition (full Mountain LX ,apart from Black XT Bio-Pace Cranks). But that's another story.
This bike has had a lot of use and many of the components have expired. The Sun Tour XC Pro cranks replace the XTs that went onto another bike (destroyed in a motorway fire), the pedals match the rest of my off road bikes, thought I aim to get the DX spd's back from a friend. The Saracen stem and oversize bard are in a tip somewhere - bars to narrow (fasion victim!) and noone made oversize bars bitd.
When it's dry, I'll go for a ride (probably after putting some risers on cos my back is stiffer than it once was!

Attachments

• Saracen Trekker Comp 1990ish DSC_0143 seat tube stickers.jpg
    Saracen Trekker Comp 1990ish DSC_0143 seat tube stickers.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 2,923
  • Saracen Trekker Comp 1990ish DSC_0135i.jpg
    Saracen Trekker Comp 1990ish DSC_0135i.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 2,923
That is cool as :cool:, Look great, I havent seen one like this for a very long time, Im guessing its a 1990 as mine is a 91 and has the newer style decals.

Is it an alloy frame ?

Nice. Took me back to the days when mtb's were proper mtb's not like the rubbish now :D

Thank you.
I've never seen another like it. It's 1990 7000 series aluminium in metallic black. Some of the decals have worn away, in particular the headtube badge. Being the 90s, I added assorted other stickers myself - not that there was much space!. It had original GripShifts (still got them) and DX flat pedals with PowerGrip straps. The saddle was an Avocet R30 (?) with a lycra top and scuff bumpers. I bought a few lycra covers for it - ah, they were lovely ;) You don't see any on here strangely ehough.

Just had a short road spin on it in the sunshine. Big smiles, but how did I ever ride anything technical? A knackered headset doesn't help (stiff steering) and WTB Weirwolf tyre up front making the bike sudenly dive into turns (I got it for £9 and never used it up front). Shudder!

So it's now got an old X-Lite XC riser bar and different front rubber. MUCH better. I look forward to dry trails so I can rde it properly (headset has rubbish seals).

Do try to get a replacement headset? Esp as I think the headtube faces are not quite true. Mmm.

Attachments

• Saracen 1990 catalogue scan Trekker 1.jpg
    Saracen 1990 catalogue scan Trekker 1.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 2,878
  • Saracen 1990 catalogue scan Trekker.jpg
    Saracen 1990 catalogue scan Trekker.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 2,878
Piers":4owxemvu said:
but how did I ever ride anything technical?.

:LOL: The Early saracens do have a short top tube and feel very odd at first !

So do you have the original catalogue ;) ............

I would love a scan of it all you do :D

You will have to get a picture of this in the early saracen thread here or Carlos will be after you !

Already posted up on that thread. :cool:
I do have the full cataogue and price list. The booklet is square and wider than A4.
How would you like the scans? E-mail, or in the catalogue section (sbject to file sie restrictions)?
It might take a few days to sort out cos I'm bit busy.

Got it.
First 3 pages are on their way. 1000KB each I'm afraid :shock: - I'm not too good at picking the right file sizes etc.

Piers":1cvt5fv7 said:
Already posted up on that thread. :cool:
I do have the full cataogue and price list. The booklet is square and wider than A4.
How would you like the scans? E-mail, or in the catalogue section (sbject to file sie restrictions)?
It might take a few days to sort out cos I'm bit busy.

I have already done this cat as part of my mammoth Saracen scanathon.... full Hi Res PDF's are in the making of all Saracen cats from 1987 to 2008 :cool:

Coming soon.....

Back