1997 Kona Hei Hei 20'' - Pretty Stock

letmetalktomark

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Hi Folks,

I had an earlier thread about this fella a while ago but thought It best I do a new one now it is finished........

Old thread here:

[url=http://www.retrobike.co.uk/f...w.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... ht=hei+hei[/url]

So after over a year of owning the frame I have finished on a build that I am happy with. Just need some 1997 decals now :LOL:

Build is a "nothing bling" build but with a few nice parts that were NOS when I got them.

Thank you to all that have contributed parts - they are much appreciated.

Spec:

Frame: 1997 Kona Hei Hei

Fork: Marzocchi Z2 BAM

Headset: Ritchey Logic WCS
Stem: Syncros
Handlebar: Halfrauds special
Grips: Kona Lockon

Brakes: XTR M950
Brake Pads: XTR M950
Brake Cables: Shimano
Brake Levers: XTR M950

Shifters: XTR M950
Front Derailleur: XTR M951
Rear Derailleur:XTR M950
Derailleur Cables: Kevalr re inforced
Cassette: XTR M950
Chain: Sram 870
Cranks: XTR M950
Bottom Bracket: M950 XTR
Pedals: Shimano XT

Hub Skewers: XTR M950
Rims: Ritchey WCS 28h
Hubs: XTR M950 28h
Tyres: Kona Lumpy & Gravy

Saddle: Flite Ti
Seatpost: Syncros

So anyway....Pics:
Seatpost Binder: Kona

Anyway pics.......

IMGP1351.jpg

IMGP1345.jpg

IMGP1349.jpg

IMGP1346.jpg

IMGP1347.jpg

Soon to be winging its way to her new owner :(

Enjoy riding her :( :cry:

Cheers,

Mark

It looks good. The decals are fine (except perhaps for the lack of them on the Z2). I can't remember now how you decided that this was a 97 frame and therefore ought to have 97 decals. I know there are some 97 Hei Heis with 98 cable routing and AndrewL says this is just the big sizes for some reason, but seeing a bike that looks like a 98 and has 98 decals I see no problem.

Taste-wise, I think 98 decals are more macho, so it just depends whether macho is good. If you do go for 97, the blue ones look better than the yellow ones IMPO.

Anthony":27in30vj said:
I can't remember now how you decided that this was a 97 frame and therefore ought to have 97 decals. .

I'm led to believe that its down to what letter the serial number starts with.

andrewl":27in30vj said:
Easiest way to tell between a 97 and a 98 onwards Hei Hei or King Kahuna is the serial number. 97 will be B20xxx for Hei Hei and 98 will be KH20xxx. Similarly King Kahunas will be K20xxx for 97 and KK20xxx for 98 onwards.

Mine starts with a B

To be honest I really don't mind either way - But I do quite like the yellow and the blue decals.

We'll see :LOL:

Cheers for the comments.

looks good to me.if it were mine the only thing i would do is put decals on the forks. not too keen on the graphics on the saddle but i'm being really picky at that!

i would love a hei hei. i guess it rides as well as it looks

I think what Mr Ling meant there was that from sometime around 98 or so, Hei Hei numbers changed from Bs to KHs, but I'm not sure if you can deduce from that that a B Hei Hei must be before 98, especially when you have 98 cable routing and 98 decals which would normally be fairly conclusive that it is a 98 frame.

I expect your frame is B20xxx, where 20 is the size and xxx is quite a high number and means it's the xxxth Hei Hei ever built.

Treacle
I don't know what year your frame is. The cable routing indicates 96 or earlier. The seat tube extension indicates either 97 or later or else 93 or earlier. From 94 to 96 they had a short seat tube extension, but I have seen one 96 Hei Hei with a longer extension, so it's possible that they anticipated the 1997 design change part way through the 96 year. In which case your frame could be a 96, but otherwise it's pre-94. In any case, the 97 decals are clearly not original. If you want to tie down the year, please supply the serial number and accurate mm measures of the seat tube c-t, the top tube c-c and the head tube, and I expect we could tell from that.

Anthony":2sxcmib2 said:
I think what Mr Ling meant there was that from sometime around 98 or so, Hei Hei numbers changed from Bs to KHs, but I'm not sure if you can deduce from that that a B Hei Hei must be before 98, especially when you have 98 cable routing and 98 decals which would normally be fairly conclusive that it is a 98 frame.

I guess that it dosen't matter at the end of the day other than the fact this bike may be in the wrong section :LOL: :oops:

Hey ho :D

letmetalktomark":ikkw4gcy said:
Anthony":ikkw4gcy said:

I guess that it dosen't matter at the end of the day other than the fact this bike may be in the wrong section :LOL: :oops:

Hey ho :D

I've heard you get shot for that sort of thing :shock:
Personally I like the black decals and would keep it as is, only a touch of something on the forks to balance out with the 'loud' typeface of the frame ones.

or some silver superflys would go nice :)

Other than cable routing is there any actual difference between a 97 & 98 frame

Back