KONA HEI HEI WITH SPECIAL X LITE TI FORKS

treacle

Senior Retro Guru
Hi

Posting up the first of my little bike collection. Currently running another thread asking for help in producing new stem (s) to shorten the 'reach'.

Basic spec of bike (currently):

- kona heihei frame - any idea of year anyone - 95???
- raleigh special products / Trimnel x-lite double clamp ti forks
- series 2 xtr full groupset
- original cross max rims/hubs
- syncros post
- flite saddle

Thinking of converting this to a single speed with some tasty bits...

Also have Series 1 XTR (on my pace) which might eventually find its way onto the frame sometime when it gets retired to the garage wall as 'art'.

Some dodgy photos below:
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

:shock: wow that is a very unique looking front end setup!!! how much does hat weigh?

not weighed the set up, but its a pretty light combination as it also does away with any steerer tube. I do worry its pretty fragile though in parts (read the stems).

erm...my non technical explanation:

- the fixed double clamp/crowns keep the forks in place
- long (ti) bolt runs from top of headset to underside of lower clamp/crown
- headset is part of the set up with special roller bearings.

Kind of hard to explain, but it all stays tight and runs very smooth....has done for years.

I do like that - there was a guy in a bike shop that I worked in years ago with that very set up. weighed nothing at all

yeah i keep meaning to get the bike weighed. Was saying in my other thread that its not a comfortable ride at the moment though, as my back is not what it once was, and kona top tubes are pretty long which does not help! Its a beautiful bike though, i love it.

Thats a quality looking bike , i nearly bought a Raleigh that came with those forks back in the day ! They look really special to me :D , never found out what the ride is like with the forks though, is it any good?? ;)

Super looking bike with that fork set-up.

I mind your origional thread: could you experiment with finding the ideal position for you and get a builder to make a new stem set-up in titamium? Ibis type thing might look good and would match the frame.

Terrific looking bike though. Thanks for posting.

Any pics of the others you have?

Back