1994 Grisley Mega 20

stewlewis

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I bought this a while ago, just because I'd never seen one before and kinda liked oversize frames BITD. Talking about it on the retro ride last weekend I said I'd up some pics, it's not cleaned or even been ridden yet and has been in the cave for 6 months, but it was cheap and it was local.

It's not sleek it's not elegant and it's not highly spec'ed but it is retro.

I think only the saddle isn't original, anyone know what it would have had?
The kit is STX bronzed ano, cranks, rings, brakes. hubs, levers, mechs.

Can't find any info on the web regarding original spec but I think this must be close, reflectors and all.

The bat fastid weighs 12.24kg as pictured.

my mate had one of those in 96, the spec on yours looks original. the stx groupset is 1995 stx 'se'. it had a bronze finish and was the envy of our little mtb gang.

cool.

kanerdog1x1":1x58wtju said:
the stx groupset is 1995 stx 'se'. it had a bronze finish and was the envy of our little mtb gang.
STX SE (Special Edition) was ONLY in 94 - so if it's oryginal equimpment we know what year is this bike ;)

I'm pretty sure we used to sell these at Wheelbase in Staveley, Cumbria when I was working there in 1995 - all ours were red though.

skolioza":3piq21vr said:
kanerdog1x1":3piq21vr said:
the stx groupset is 1995 stx 'se'. it had a bronze finish and was the envy of our little mtb gang.
STX SE (Special Edition) was ONLY in 94 - so if it's oryginal equimpment we know what year is this bike ;)

Super knowledge there dude, 1994 it is then.

orange71":2oz5unpb said:
I'm pretty sure we used to sell these at Wheelbase in Staveley, Cumbria when I was working there in 1995 - all ours were red though.

Mine must be special. :)
CAD with an American flag and Aluminium is spelt correctly, not like my Aluminum Caloi.

I've got a magazine from 1995 where they tested a Grisley Mega 30. It had a Vetta Reynolds 531 saddle.

grisley bikes belonged to BH bikes from Vitoria, Spain a traditional bike manufacturer here (not high spec or custom bikes, just that they were building the bikes that everybody was riding for generations here... road, "bmx", cruisers, mtb... you name it and there was a bh there)
During the mid 90s they hired Peter Grisley from USA, who was supposed to design the frames and put his name on them, and the flag too...but the brand behind was BH. I think they did this for marketing reasons.

At some point not after their foundation they tried to sell Grisley bikes in USA and several other countries apart from Spain (that was their main market) in Europe, so yours belong to that era... i lost track of the brand but it was discontinued as the mega tubes altough shocking and spectacular did not provide a good compromise between rigidity and weight.... they did not use light butted alu so they were pretty rigid but not light at all. It was just that alu was popular when compared to Chromoly for the mass market by then and its look with those big tubes helped the sales

They were popular here in Spain for a few years but obviously not looked as a premium brand, just solid mid range bikes for the mass market.

I think that during 1995 they had the best two national riders on their bikes (Manuel Martinez Costa & Juan Carlos Garro) that had a good season on them

As i say you will not break the bike, they are solid!

If you want more info check the net for it, just look for "bicicletas grisley BH" or something like that, or get registered in www.bicisclasicas.com and post a question about it (do in in English no worries)

woah, aint seen one of these in a long long time. they looked cool back in the day. think my mate had one as he couldnt afford a fat tubed dale.....

Back