Champion BMX Cruiser Converted to MTB

Ductape

BoTM Winner
I have always been intrigued with klunkers and early Mountainbikes. While researching my DX klunker build, it became apparent to me how much influence the BMX cruisers had on the early MTB scene. As I completed the DX project, I knew I needed to find my own Cruiser project to take on. With the addition of a der hanger, cable stops, bottle mount, and a bash guard to This classic Champion frame, it was converted from BMX use to MTB many years ago. The frame and an old picture of the bike in it's original glory taken may years ago gave me a foundation to begin this build.

In the parts gathering stage now, things are slow going as I try to match parts to the old photograph, or at least keep things close and era correct.

So far I have gathered (all subject to change):

Champion Double downtube frame.
Cook Bros. Fork
Cook Bros Seatpost.
S/A front and rear drum hubs
Ukai silver rims
Magura brake levers
Sugino 3 piece BMX cranks
Sugino BB
Pro Neck Chainring
Suntour Winner 6 speed freewheel
Suntour seat clamp
Oakley 3 grips
Tioga Headset
KKT Lightning pedals

Still have a long ways to go, but figured I would start a thread now.
Cheers,
T

very cool

bonus points if you are able to get that headlight :D

what parts are you still looking for, if you don't mind sharing it?

Still Seeking:

Cruiser Bars (?)
Pro Neck Stem
Lighting system (optional)
Tires (repro's)
Bashguard cover (I will make this)
Suntour Cyclone rear der.
B 72 Saddle (I have others that would work but want this)
Suntour Thumbie
Chain
Cable
Housing
Stickers
Paint or powdercoat

Not too far off really. I have read articles that state these frames came painted (imron) and another article stating powdercoat. Undecided. Since it is going to be a single color, I may powdercoat it Black (not much imagination I know, but I like black). Either that or match the color on there now which is rich but missing in areas.

Looking at the frame, I know when this build is complete, I will end up with a bike too small for me again. I am sure my kids will enjoy (and some day appreciate) riding it.

the bars can be found on ebay fairly regularly.
the tires, hmmm, I know Kenda made a run of retro/vintage repros, with skinwall and without, this past year or two...does it run a 26" or 24" wheel?

GoldenEraMTB":1lxq5fhi said:
the bars can be found on ebay fairly regularly.
the tires, hmmm, I know Kenda made a run of retro/vintage repros, with skinwall and without, this past year or two...does it run a 26" or 24" wheel?

The vintage cruiser bars go for big bucks on the bay (darn BMX stuff). Contemplating a set of late 70's Hodaka motorcycle (or comparable) bars instead. Love the Skull skate cruiser bars available new, but want to keep thing era correct. I got a pair of VDC bars off the bay, but they aren't making the cut (I like rider quality, but these look more klunker rider quality so they got bumped to the C build). I see a lot of Tuff and Pro Neck stems. Just need to pull the trigger and bid a touch higher on the right one.

One piece at a time. Just saving up my allowance.

JD, yes, that is the goal. Make it look close to the old BW photo. Already take a few liberties but not too much.
Cheers,
T

Ductape":37b69ope said:
stencil0001.jpg

T -- What's the scoop with the holes in the chainstay?

Nice little project you have got there.

Are you able to post photos of some of the parts you have like the drum hubs etc?

Back