After I built this I was told by some friends I should come here and post some pics of my new bike.
After finding cracks in my 955 and 855 (I will put pics of them up later) and not having the period parts amassed to complete my 854 I decided to do a modern version of the 856.
First off I had to find a frame. Surprised me really how easy it was to find an unused front triangle for the bike. The first pic shows the difference between the 855 and the 856.
The pivot holes in the 855 as it turns out were out of center and didn't line up from one side to the other. This probably explains why I broke so many axle bolts on the 855 but not on the 955. Also had swingarm cracking issues on the 855.
From here I was going to use one of my swingarms off the 855 or 955. Unfortunately one was cracked and the other I wanted to keep original. This time ebay came to the rescue and this gem was found.
As I wanted to run a modern build (not retro I know, but I have a period 955 and soon to be restored 854) I needed to have disc tabs installed.
With the disc tabs on I was pretty much able to move on and finish the bike. Full XTR groupset with ritchey Carbon WCS to finish it off. Total weight in the end was 11.1kg's but I still need to put the carbon post on and replace the pedals so I think I can get it close to (or under) the 11kg mark, not that weight ever really influenced this bike.
Still a few things I want to tweak, but after a decent ride on the weekend this is probably the most fun bike I have ridden in a long time. Its gotten me keen now to pull my finger out and finish the 854 (and probably get the cracks repaired in either the 955 or 855).