First completed 'part' retro project - Kona Koa 1997

edstart

Devout Dirtbag
Here is my first completed retro build. Athough not all retro I have tried to obtain components that I had back in the day.

Retro stuff includes full XT gears with LX cranks, XT V's and levers, Gripshift SRT 600s, original frame etc.

Some modern stuff includes hope headset, flite ti, wheels, tyres, DMR V12s, Kore finishing kit, Rock Shox Toras.

My justification for the modern stuff is simply because it works better and looks better. It is also cheaper and easier to get hold of ;)

I bought the bike in its orginal state from Barnes Cycles in Lincoln and got it blasted and powder coated here in Nottingham. Including the forks which I sold on here along with the XT thumbies, USE post, wheels and original seat clamp which helped fund the build.

Got the graphics off ebay from a local company which were spot on.

Most of the original retro stuff has been sourced on ebay or through the forum so thanks to the guys on the forum who contributed (see if you can spot your stuff!)

I have included some pictures of the original bike and the completed bike. Hope you can all enjoy it!

Ed

Attachments

• dsp_pict0508.jpg
    dsp_pict0508.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 891
  • dsp_pict0510.jpg
    dsp_pict0510.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 891
  • dsp_pict0520.jpg
    dsp_pict0520.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 891
Here are the completed bike pics:

Attachments

• SDC10883.JPG
    SDC10883.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 890
  • SDC10884.JPG
    SDC10884.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 890
  • SDC10885.JPG
    SDC10885.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 890
That bike looks cool!
Do you have some more pictures?

I love the Kore components, they complement the white of the frame.
Actually I like the original colour more, was the the original paint pretty bad to have it powder coated?

Have fun with your 'new' bike.

Cheers,

Aaldert

Bike had 13 years of good use so paint was knackered. I like new looking things anyway!

More pics on way.

Ed

OK, that is a good excuse for a new paint job :)
I am looking forward to see those pictures.

Cheers,

Aaldert

Back