531 'thing' - 15/10/10 update

legrandefromage

Bin Monkey
BoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I love the Dawes Ranger style of early UK mountain bikes with their risers and attention to detail.

Many thanks to GrahamNR17 who put with my nagging (hello to Anders the dog BTW)

Heres a sneak peek of the 'mystery' MTB frame that may turn out to be a 531 Saracen.

Frame: Reynolds 531 MTB all-terrain tubing

Forks: Reynolds 531

Groupset: Mountain LX inc cranks, mechs and shifters

Seat: Rolls

Stem: SR twin clamp thingy.

Extras: thermoplastic mudguards with their little mud flaps, Bor Yeu rack

The ride is better than I expected - it has very long rear stays and a relaxed fork rake which I thought would make it all too lazy. However, quality tubing means that this is a flyer, theres proper spring in the ride. I cant wait to take it out on a meet and see how the '80's finest UK frame building does the job.

I spoke to my mate who had a 531 Saracen in 1986 and he identified it as similar to what he had except mine came with Suntour XCD 4050, his with mid range Shimano (I spy Suntour mechs and Sugino chainset?).

I is well chuffed, innit.

saracen_651.jpg
:D

Attachments

• Saracen.jpg
    Saracen.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 7,296
perry":1489lmpl said:
Looks very rugged . You should mutter " Grrr " when riding it .

What are the cantis ?

Complete Mountain LX, I'm rebuilding the wheels to match and adding some gold bling.

drystonepaul":q3wf0csf said:
I really like that LGF. Are you getting the gold decals done too?

yes. gold lug lining and an XT upgrade here & there if I can. I like it alot.

It matches the Conquest frames except for the rear mech cable stops and no groove in the rear stays but the twin cable guides at the front clinch it for me. The quality of the cable guides/ stops on my frame point to something decent from the 1980's and very possibly Saracen

Proper off road tourer :cool: the sort i would see reading those foreign expedition articles in the old magazines, dusting along a trail bogged down by twin pannier racks and 500 water bottles.

Very nice LGF

That is class, a true eyeopener into the very start of mountain bikes for me. Mountain LX is a lovley groupset that I havnt seen in a longtime. Look forward to seeing this one emerge.

P.S. LGF, do the rear mech a favour and drop a cog up front ;)

Gravy Monster":so7qy81u said:
That is class, a true eyeopener into the very start of mountain bikes for me. Mountain LX is a lovley groupset that I havnt seen in a longtime. Look forward to seeing this one emerge.

P.S. LGF, do the rear mech a favour and drop a cog up front ;)

:oops: :oops:

I know - new chain tomorrow.

Back