New project - Specialized FSR 95 S Works

bduc61

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
New projet in the pipe ;)

Specialized FSR S works 1995 or 95 stickered 94 ?

SpecializedFSR94009.jpg

Initially thought it was a 94 as frame number is with S94 if I remember correctly .
but white lettering makes it a 95 then or is it white stickered 94 ?
But there are a few issues

1) Shock : usual fractured pivots :cry:
before sourcing a replacement, is it possible to repair the existing one with welding ??? any luck there or would it be a waste ? Is it alu that can be weld or a strange alloy ?

m_6A44414B2773D06E0B2A0BBAE1C92FBE.jpg

2) Stickers
original sticker colors are ? white with black bordering ?
yellow was only for 94
Gil is on for the new set – But no model name was on top tube ? Only S works in the front pivot tube and on the seat post ?

3) Paint
Before going for a respray, I would like to renovate the old paint and give it back a nice shine

What is the product you prefer to do that ?
I have seen mentionned T Cut ? Is that THE one ?
can it be found on the internet for us "mortals on the other side of the channel" ? ;)
Is it always better to use a wax polish afterwards ? or is the polish sufficient ?

I will go for quite classic build

M900 Combo
M 900 Cantis ( although I do not like cantis :roll: )
M 900 mechs

Self built wheels with Mavic 231 CD NOS rims and mint M900 hubs and DT spokes
Nice NOS Specialized Ground Control and Ground Master amberwalls

Possibly M900 cranks - do not like the Specialized one – too bulky :?
Maybe an Flite Carbon Evolution I :cool: - or a regular leather one
Stem to be sourced
Bar : I have got a litespeed titanium bar that will do the trick for now
Fork : dunno yet :cry:
seatpost : probably an M900 with a shim

ooooooh you have opened a can of worms here my friend.

That is a 1995 frame with what look like the correct decals although there is not much left to tell. There is a 1995 S-Works catalogue on here if you want to know what builds were offered. Generally it was sold as a frame only.

If you are after the "correct" Titanium stem then I can help, drop me a PM.

I also have two of these so am happy to help out with pictures of decals, but there are many others on here with these frames too so you should be able to pick and choose!

Good luck, I'm no expert but have done a fair amount of research on these so give me a shout if you have any questions.

development_cycle":2fbiogab said:
Generally it was sold as a frame only.

Actually, a frameset with Judy FSX forks, DiaCompe AheadSet, Ti stem and Al seatpost and seatpost allen bolt.

That's a '95 from what I can see of the decals, both my '95s have '94' frame numbers as that's the year in which they were manufactured.

The cracked shocks are a bugger. I have two from which I could build a single, uncracked shock... does anyone have strip down instructions? A rebuild at Mojo would be almost as expensive as a new, superior Fox shock.

The seatpost size is 29.2mm by the way. Let me / us know if you need any other info. Hope you get it rolling soon :)

Cheers,

Dr. Matt...

thanks for the help ;)

hope not too many worms will get out of the can :?

there has been a 94 though with yellow sticker - looks better I think

http://www.mombat.org/1994_Stumpjumper_FSR.htm

I know your ti stem development cycle . Will pass for the moment ;)

the shock is quite an issue ! have read a few things about replacing by a more modern one but price new is an obstacle. :cry:

The shock of the Scalpel could do ? its a 140MM and how much travel ?

any other else you can suggest ? what is the exact ref of the modern Fox the RP23 ? and there is an Astro 5 something ?
but have not 250 or 300 USD to put in it :?

Won't try to do a original mock up but will try to stay "decent" as parts foreseen show ;)

Yep, a 140mm (5.5 inch) Scalpel shock will fit, you need 25mm (1 inch) of stroke. I've also seen at least one running with what looked like a 152mm / 36mm stroke shock which jacks the back end up a bit.

There was also a BETD long travel kit which uses a 165mm (6.5 inch) Fox Vanilla shock. I have the only one of these that I know still exists, but may do a limited repro run sometime if enough people are interested. 165mm shocks are a lot more common.

Relevant catalogue is here: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/mai ... 06745aa6db

Looks like you have it all covered Matt, well done. I know that I have read that the scalpel shock will fit and has been done but isn't the actual eye to eye length of the original Fox shock 145mm and not 140mm?

I may be wrong, and it may be irrelevant but just wanted to be sure. I've got four of these shocks and I don't think I can get even one good one out of the lot!

What did Mr Zero put on his? Was that the same Scalpel shock?

Just to add to the confusion, MrKawasakie has one that he refers to as a 1994 model, and the decals certainly look like the 1995 ones only they are white not yellow :shock:

What was that you were saying about worms?

development_cycle":8y11i66r said:
Just to add to the confusion, MrKawasakie has one that he refers to as a 1994 model, and the decals certainly look like the 1995 ones only they are white not yellow :shock: ?
well were they any manufactured in 94 ? looking like the mombat one ?
quite like the graphics of the yellow downtube sticker :cool:

development_cycle":8y11i66r said:
What was that you were saying about worms?
well, when you open a can of worms, aren't some going to get out :idea: ;)
don't really fancy worms :LOL:

development_cycle":1q892fkf said:
Looks like you have it all covered Matt, well done. I know that I have read that the scalpel shock will fit and has been done but isn't the actual eye to eye length of the original Fox shock 145mm and not 140mm?

Nope, it's 140mm, I measured mine last week. There were some Alps 4/5 models made in 135mm and 145mm lengths for early Cannondale FS rigs. I don't think the 135mm would work as it's got 25mm stroke and would therefore be too short fully compressed and might bang into part of the rear triangle. Some here on eBay though if anyone wants to give one a try.

The 145mm might work, the specs are here. It has about 5mm longer stroke than the one on our FSRs, so is the same length fully compressed. Good luck sourcing one though, Cannondale Europe told me they didn't stock them any more and recommended I look at Risse shocks.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
any progress on this? Great frame, and I like your component choices!
If if will be up to the standard of your steel s-works, this will be good.

it's an 18" frame too, my size...

Back