Marin Pine mountain (Update!)

angrytoaster

Devout Dirtbag
Picked up this pine mountain today, going to use it to ride around campus. Im moving and have to sell off all of my non-winter-acceptable bikes. I found this on craigslist this morning and picked it up in the afternoon.

Anybody out there know a ballpark of the year?

And of course the real question.....purple anno anybody? I was thinking barends, cantis, and skewers. Please dont slay me for barends.

John

Attachments

• 3k03pd3l95T55Pa5R9a1j512baa9e43f81677 (1).jpg
    3k03pd3l95T55Pa5R9a1j512baa9e43f81677 (1).jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 4,417
  • 3nc3o63l65O65Pf5Rda1jae44e3eeb3741078.jpg
    3nc3o63l65O65Pf5Rda1jae44e3eeb3741078.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 4,417
The decals and XT STI point towards 1990/91 I think. The team riders had flouro yellow Pine Mountains in 1989 but they had thumbies. I could be wrong on the year but I'd bet it's no newer then 1991.

Good score btw, hope you got it for a good price. Oh, and more pics please. ;)

Looks like a repaint with non correct (older) decals to me, bike looks like a 19" but head tube is kind of short making me think it is a supension corrected frame - so 1994 or later. I have a '90 Eldridge which shared a frame with the '90 Pine - it has a much longer head tube.

I dont think its quite a 19, feels more 17ish. According to the seller, it sat in some fellows garage until he picked it up and rode it, but who knows.

The rear derailleur is an xt, but the front is a DX. The shocks are magnesium 21's, and the shifters are the obnoxious rapid fire Lx's....which leads me to believe that none of this stuff was originally on this bike.

Would a serial number help any?

Also, i payed 150$ USD for this bike--not knowing a cent about marins, howed I do guys?

measure centre BB to centre top tube - that's your frame size - serial numner might help - if it starts M903, it's probably a 1990 Pine, but this is not a foolproof method.

I think $150 for that bike is a great score. Bontrager/Titec titanium bar is worth about 1/3 of what you paid.

m21ba0357 is the serial number. Cant find my measuring tape! Thats a great bit of information about the titecs! I purchased an XT front derailleur for it today..however it feels too new for this bike. Might put it on later and see what it tlooks like.

I believe one side of my forks doesnt hold air, any remedies?

Hippie Tech suspension ( http://www.hippiesuspension.com/hippietechsuspension/ ) can fix your fork, but it will cost you what you paid for the bike - a good rigid fork might be more sensible (and cheaper) for a campus cruiser.

There is thread here: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=37430&highlight=marin+serial

That deals with Marin frame numbers, various systems for deciphering them are suggested - one from Marin themselves via Retrobiker Benandemu. My own (completely made up) system for 1990 bikes is there - but it doesn't work for your number.

Actually, benandemu's deciphering may make a little sense, although its not a team marin, his decoding indicates its 91.

So ive had some trouble with this guy.

I ordered a full kit of magura rim brakes for it, and got some xt thumbies it for it from the local shop, and in the process of stripping her of the brakes, I decided to take the forks out to regrease and clean everything. Im glad I did.

The forks are threaded, and done into a threadless setup. Some genius pounded a star nut down into it and set it up just as is and let it go. That wasn't the end of it though, when I slipped the grips off of the titec's, one end was kinked really bad about 4 inches in from the left side, preventing me from taking the rapid fires off without having to bend it back into place.

The good news, is I contacted the seller and he was rather cool about it, he even offered to give me a set of Sid's and some uncut ritchey bars.

So heres my dillema...the sids are around 2001\02(I think!), is it blasphomy to use them on this frame?

Back