Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
Kona Fan
GT Fan
Feedback
View
hi all.

this is going to be a joint venture between myself and mikef350. unfortunate circumstances have left him without a bike and we can't have that now can we?

i found this marin on ebay and it didn't look too bad in the listing but i think it has seen one too many scottish winters.

the plan is to rebuild the bike on as low a budget as possible, but without cutting corners. mike used to work at the falcon/claud butler factory so is a competent spanner man. we will do it up together, mainly from leftovers in our collective sheds and hopefully we will end up with a low budget but useable bike.

the sopping list at the moment

wheels (front is really bad and rear is solid axle so going to swap them)
tyres
front and rear mechs as i have a few spares
cables
chain
chainset
headset
pedals
brake blocks
saddle (this one is torn and holding water!)

mike is going to strip her down to a bare frame and try and sympathetically sort the rust out.

Attachments

• DSC01031.jpg
    DSC01031.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 4,163
  • DSC01032.jpg
    DSC01032.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 4,163
  • DSC01033.jpg
    DSC01033.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 4,163
  • DSC01036.jpg
    DSC01036.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 4,163
I remember my mate getting one of these for his birthday in about 1994. It was a thing of wonder, I remember how incredibly light and awesome it seemed compared to my townsend excuse for an mtb!

well mike has been busy stripping and polishing.

bike stripped down rust scrubbed frame polished. headset regreased but could do with a new one.

now features stx mechs and chainset which i think is a sensible upgrade.

my shed has been raided for the wheels which are shimano exage hubs and sunn rims

erll37.jpg

2vn5dhf.jpg

x0oaxf.jpg

23sf5uq.jpg

no jokes about the proximity to the bin

Excellent work so far. If you need stickers try Gil_M - he sorted some '93 Bobcat Trail stickers for me a few weeks ago.

I'll keep an eye on this as my '93 Bobcat slowly comes together.

Lewis

That is just how my 91 Palisades looked when I got it but now it is practically finished and looks almost new..... :roll: well I think it does :LOL:

Hi Lewis. What are you short of on the build as I'm sure I could make a donation. Spoken to Mike in the past and he's a top chap. :cool:

Blackadder":39vqp1ju said:
That is just how my 91 Palisades looked when I got it but now it is practically finished and looks almost new..... :roll: well I think it does :LOL:

Cool. You got a build thread? I'll have to have a hunt.

Don't think this one's ever going to look as new! Possibly shop soiled.

Brocklanders- thanks for the offer the only part it really needs (apart from matching shifters)is a seatpost and i looks like longun can supply. Thanks anyway dude.

Mike has spent the day trying to remove the bottom bracket but it i stuck solid. It has been soaked in plusgas but it isn't shifting. I'm going to take it to my mate's workshop and hit it with stuff.

lewis1641":fq6qrqvs said:
Cool. You got a build thread? I'll have to have a hunt.

No sorry dude I built it up a while ago and did not do a build thread...Should have though :roll: is it only the shifters you are missing? what ones are they I have a few shifters lying around I can have a look see what I have :D

Back