iveto1983

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
98+ BoTM Winner
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
I bought this off ebay about 6 months ago. Didn't know at the time but it was off konamad. No complaints though, maybe I overpaid but I was happy :D
It's been built up and ridden a lot. I think it's the best bike I've ever ridden, not ridden my two titanium bikes in anger yet though ;)
It's currently off road as the brakes, levers and forks went on the Axis. I prefer it rigid anyway, had it built with some RC31's that I bought off baj. I gave them to my Dad though, the steerer was too short.
I just need some more XTR v brakes and some brake mounts for the forks. I'd like a lighter cassette too.

Frame: Kona Hot 19" frame no. HT121

Fork: Pace RC31 420mm

Headset: King Red
Stem: Yeti ARC
Handlebar: Bontrager Easton
Grips: Plastiche Cassano rubber

Brakes: M951 XTR
Brake Pads: Fibrax
Brake Cables: Dura Ace Grey
Brake Levers: M951 XTR

Shifters: M952 XTR
Front Derailleur: M952 XTR
Rear Derailleur: M952 XTR
Derailleur Cables: Dura Ace Grey
Cassette: M960 XTR titanium
Chain: Sram?
Cranks: Race Face
Crank Bolts: TNT Aluminium
Chainrings: Specialites TA
Chainring bolts: Aluminium
Bottom Bracket: UN71
Pedals: No-Name Aluminium & Resin body

Hub Skewers: Miche Titanium
Rims: Mavic 217
Hubs: Hope
Spokes: DT Swiss DB
Tyres: Michelin XC Hard Terrain
Tubes: too heavy

Saddle: Flite
Seatpost: Syncros
Seatpost Binder: Kona

Weight: Hopefully around 23.5lb
How she stands now
web.jpg

web.jpg

When she was built up
web.jpg

Pat

:LOL:

It would appear that you and I share similar tastes in frames!

Long before I bought mine, I actually tried to buy yours from its original owner. He had listed it on eBay with a set of Rock Shox Judy's that were customed painted to match. He claimed to have raced as a Kona sponsored rider and bought this direct from them, I have some photo's on my Macbook at home which I can send you if you like?

Here's mine, these are the only two 'Stars & Bars' Hot's I'm aware of in the UK, but I have seen photo's of a couple more from the US. I've no idea how many were actually sold in this colourway. I've seen a Kona cruiser-type frame painted this way, and once saw a set of P2's painted to match, but they never resurfaced after they were sold :(

DSC00511.jpg

Yeah, we both have impeccable taste! :D
I'd like to see those photos, thanks. If you wouldn't mind either uploading some here, or emailing them to me at iveto1983@mac.com
I actually own those painted to match Rock Shox. The internals are shot, so he gave me them. I suppose they could be resurrected?
I did a mock build with them, they look awesome but I thought they would cost too much to get working. Not sure now...
web.jpg

Pat

Hi,

That is a great bike! I would try to restore the forks and mount them, they cmoplement the bike. There are some dampers and springs for judy's on the ebay.

What is the cable stop for the v-brakes on the top tube? I need one for my '96 cinder cone.

Cheers,

Aaldert

iveto1983":1htohuf5 said:
Yeah, we both have impeccable taste! :D

Indeed, as I see you also have a Vit-T2! ;)

I will email the pictures to you later.

I'm glad you have the fork, I feared 'Konamad' was so cynical that he would sell it seperately to maximise his profit.

Hi,

Thanks for the kind words. I'd kind of forgotten about the Rock Shox, but am thinking now it'd be a shame not to restore them.
The cable stop is called a Problem Solver, I bought it off ebay from this seller.
Mine's a 28.6, yours should be the same :?:
Cheers, Pat :D

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Thanks Tallpaul, I'd appreciate it.
On a side note, I just bought this off ebay for it. A bit worn but should save some weight. ;)

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Thanks! I bought a cable stop from a guy in this forum, but it is a little too tight. It fits perfect on my '97 Hahanna though. Only that frame has a standard cable stop. I think the size is 28,6 mm.

Does your cable stop fit tight or is there some space?

As for the Judy internals, I bought the same a while ago. I did not fitted the Judy on my bike yet. The kit is quite heavy though, because of the steel damper and springs.

I have seen on the ebay a single Risse damper for a Judy, if the picture was right there was less metal on the damper. There are separate springs for sale on the ebay also. The only thing, the Risse damper is quite expensive.

Back