1994 GT Zaskar LE

EarlofBarnet

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Well, I've been a member of the site for less than a week and I've already picked up a project.

Looking through some of the other Zaskar threads, I'm pretty sure this is a 1994 model. I bought this in approximately 1997 second hand via MBUK. I think I paid £80 for this as a frame and fork package from a guy from Merseyside, who delivered it to my house (must have been a 300 mile round trip!). I rode the bike for a summer, before treating myself to a Marin Mount Vision. The Zaskar then passed to my Dad, who used it off road for a while, before it became his work hack. Over the last year its sat in the garage feeling sorry for itself. But for no longer, time to bring it back to its former glory!

The bike as it stands:

DSC00986.jpg

DSC00987.jpg

DSC00988.jpg

DSC00989.jpg

DSC00991.jpg

The plan is to:
* Strip it down and clean and polish frame. Fairly sure I'll keep the original graphics on it and try and polish around them.
* Fit most of original parts (maybe adding new parts in a black/silver theme).
* Single speed it.
* Ride it in spring/summer off-road and enjoy it.

What do you think?

welcome

nice start

GT's make stonking single speeds just remember to fit o/s bar/stem

13-3-05213-1.jpg

this was built from scrap parts apart from the bars and stem which
cost me £15 still in use today

Thanks for the comments. I've taken a bit of autosol some areas of the frame and it's come back gleaming, I'm really impressed. Also stripped off the mudguard and light/brackets. Looking forward to getting stuck in to this :)

I spent a few hours las night stripping the bike down. Everything is now off apart from the bottom bracket, forks and headset. So the next step may be to start spending some money.

I've looked on CRC and priced up a new b/b, chainset, chain, and cassette. All of which come back at a reasonable price. I was weighing up doing a s/s conversion, but it would mean changing the integrated brake/gear levers. So I've opted to go down the 24sp geared route now (save the s/s conversion for another project).

Will post some picture up later on todday :)

A proper Zaskar :) These frames will polish up nicely, just be careful with decals, 94 are very hard to find.

It's been a few days since touching the bike, due to work being a bit hectic. However, a parcel arrived from CRC with a new chainset (TruvatrivIsoflow ), cassette (SRAM PG830), chain (PC830) and brake pads front and rear. I picked up some gear and brake cables from...Wilkinson's too. So, I should have everything ready to go! Just need to finish polishing the frame, then it can go back together again.

I'll post some updates throughout the day :)

Latest posts

Back