1997 Rockopper - initial queries...

superstu

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I am currently doing my first build, as I inherited a rather nice Rockhopper frame (1997 I believe).

Frame only so no other parts unfortunately, but gives me something to waste my money on for the next couple of months!

The frame has some bad scratches so will be resprayed in due course. No issues with it though and the bottom bracket has come out fine (needs replacing though as it is shot to pieces).

My first dilemna is whether to go fully rigid or put some forks on. I may be able to get some good condition Z2's from my brother's old GT, which I feel suits the springy nature of the steel frame (and they're amazing forks). They're both from roughly the same era (late 1990's) so I'm hoping the geomtry wont be affected. Anyone know how to check this? I know the Rockhopper had Rigid and Suspension versions.

The other dilemna is what to build it up as. The purists will say I should aim to replace like for like as per original build but I was thinking of upgrading some of the spec (without going overboard).

I'll chuck some initial photos up when I have worked out how to!

Rockhopper.jpg

Pic added for you - may help others with any advice :D

771210583_cb0d8019ce.jpg

built mine up as a singlespeed... with a mix of retro and new parts and its probably the best bike ive ever ridden!

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=61851

had all sorts of forks on it.. SIDS, Judy C, XC, SL and DH!!, Bomber Z1's a couple of manitou forks and a few others i cant think of at the mo! but the rigids seem to suit it best in its current singlespeed guise.

if i was building with a general and geared spec, i think something like a Z2 would suit it perfectly. :)

Spacehopper

Yours is a beauty! I really like the simple look and ss design. Its a tempter. But being lazy I think i'd miss the gears...

Have stripped everything but haven't decided on what colour to respray it yet, was thinking maybe the traditional rockhopper red.

Will link some more photos once I figure out how to (technophobic 28 year old) :roll:

i miss the gears sometimes but luckily its not really that hilly where i ride it so its pretty good overall..

id go for rockhopper red if i was respraying mine..

The original frame i had before this was that colour but unfortunatley it snapped on the driveside chainstay next to the dropout :( . I got this frame as a warranty replacement

Back