1990 Alpinestars Al-Mega XT

GT-Steve

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Picked this up today,

It's a bit ropey to say the least, but still a good project, with a few nice additions to help me along the way. Still think I'm gonna have my work cut out! lol. :)
DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

Steve

Bit of TLC and that'll do well. Some nice parts there too!

Is that metal swarf coming out of the front hub???

Yeah, I've got to try and rub down all the brush-painted metalwork :oops: without ruining the decals :shock:

No, it's not metal swarf, it's some sort of thread/fabric. The bearings in the hub are perfect, considering the restof the bike is pretty much buggered :)
Steve

Re: Alpinestars

grundig-world-cup-90":3ph1v2mg said:
Hey

Great project :D

Always loved the al mega xt, classic rig :D

kloser.jpg

How about a kloser replica :D bontragers upfront, short cage xt!

Aww man, I just gotta replicate that pic completely (I wanna be like Mike !!!) I'm gonna start with the 'tache and then I'm gonna practice ma dodgy catalogue pose! :LOL:

Short cage XT shouldn't be too much of a problem, but the rest of the add-on's could be a bleeding nightmare to track down.
Steve

Re: Alpinestars

GT-Steve":3gsloaic said:
grundig-world-cup-90":3gsloaic said:
Hey

Great project :D

Always loved the al mega xt, classic rig :D

Aww man, I just gotta replicate that pic completely (I wanna be like Mike !!!) I'm gonna start with the 'tache and then I'm gonna practice ma dodgy catalogue pose! :LOL:

Short cage XT shouldn't be too much of a problem, but the rest of the add-on's could be a bleeding nightmare to track down.
Steve

I always loved the wee pic on botton right! Mike in big ring short cage xt ficked forward ( was sort of like a supercharger a short cage xt in the day ) givin it some :D Legend

be watchin this one :D

Nice project, it's certainly got some kit on it! If your doing a Mike Kloser you'll need the facial hair too.

sinnett177":3fmbn5ne said:
Nice project, it's certainly got some kit on it! If your doing a Mike Kloser you'll need the facial hair too.

See below!! :D
GT-Steve":3fmbn5ne said:
I'm gonna start with the 'tache and then I'm gonna practice ma dodgy catalogue pose! :LOL:

It's definitely going to be an interesting project, it's mainly rubbish (none of the gears work, the freewheel is slipping 100% of the time, and I really must laugh @ the upside-down SIS thumbshifters :shock:) , but the base is there - If only I could track down a matching rear hub!!!!!! :? :shock: :)
Steve

Seeing as I was 'working from home' today, due to the snow ( :evil: ) I decided to set about stripping the Al-mega down (all except the BB) and within an hour or 4 the job was complete.

The frame is amazingly light, everything was seized in, or on the bike, and now I have a nice bare frame to base my project around.

any definitive answers from anyone as to exactly what model the Pace forks are, please?

Steve

Back