Mongoose Amplifier / AMP B2 1993 (??) - update 19-04-2011

mvd1974

Retro Guru
Here's my new project I purchased from a fellow RB'er.... (thanks Steve)

It's gonna take a while before it's a complete bike, since I'm not completely sure what to do with the build.

Oh.. and maybe somebody knows what year the frame really is. Is it 1993 or 1994 or ... ?

I also purchased some wheels for it and now have the idea to make it a completely silver bike, so no 'strange' colors on it. So, headset has to go. It's an Onza Mongo III, so if you're interested, let me know. It might take some time before I take it out.

The rest of the build plans:
XTR M900 mech's and M900 STI shifters
Ringlé seatpost (already on its way)
Ringlé stem (not found yet)
Flite first gen saddle (already here)
Bar :? open to suggestions, I prefer US made
Brakes :? open to suggestions, perhaps M900's ?
Matrix Aero (375g) rims
Cranks :? the idea is to look for some White Industries MD's
Headset :? though I still have a weak spot for Chris King...

An other question is about the frame. I'm not sure if I should change the decals to Mongoose. Where these frames in silver BITD ? I don't want to change the color, since I like it in silver. And maybe the AMP decals are fine. I thought these frames where completely build by AMP anyway, do you know if I'm correct ?

Open to any suggestions on the build, so let the posts come in... :D

Attachments

• WI front.jpg
    WI front.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 12,305
  • WI rear.jpg
    WI rear.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 12,305
  • Mongoose - AMP.JPG
    Mongoose - AMP.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 12,301
Okay third RB owner of this frameset. Is it going to stay with you? :LOL: ;)

Couple of MBA scans I have featuring the Mongoose Amplifier in silver:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/mai ... emId=66942

Would be willing to swap my silver collar for your blue one. Maybe take your headset as well.

No idea what year mine is either. I don't know if anyone could give you a definitive answer on that. :(

Frames were all made by AMP in Laguna Beach, California & sold under license to Mongoose. If I remember correctly your frame is a 'Mongoose' - as is my Amplifier. But..... they look waaaaaaay cooler with the AMP Research decals on. :cool:

@RockiMtn: the seat collar swap sound OK. I'm not planning to look for period correctness completely since I don't know what year the frame was and the components are not real special I think. Just 'normal' XTR M900 is in the planning... Send me a PM and we can sort things out. It might take a while though...

@TCS: Thanks for the info. I thought it was something like that. And my doubt about changing to Mongoose decals was 'cause the AMP decals look real cool

I'm sure it's an Mongoose Amplifier actually. There is a Mongoose M in the rear drop-out. OOps, now I pointed it out.. :LOL:

I saw this frame (in black) in the 1994 edition of Bike Magazine Workshop (at about 3500DM, or 1600GBP :shock: ), so I think it's 1993 or 1994.

Thanks for the info guys !!

I see the flying guy in the pic has XTR M900 parts on his bike, so that will be my choice also. Don't know about the brakes yet, bet the mech's are gonna be M900.

Anyone familiar with the year/performance/quality of Onza HO brakes ?
I don't know if I should go there, but it might be an option.

...though, I should keep this one nice and simple as it will become a real rider of which I'm not afraid to wear it out (like the green stuff on my '95 Ibis) :twisted:

A small update.

The wheels are made to fit. I had to make the axle a bit shorter 'cause the frame only handles 130mm.

The tires came in from Italy and I snatched my brothers saddle from his Alan road bike (standing still since 10+ years).

The bar in front is the one I gonna be using. The M900 (near NOS) shifter combo's came in last week. Still looking for a Ringlé Zooka in silver that can hold it in place during a ride... :?

The headset is gonna be changed to a CK in silver. I'm sure about keeping this one silver all the way except for the M900 parts. So, yeah, the QR's gonna change to silver ones in time. Ringlé would be nice, but I'm not sure about 'm yet.
Maybe there is an other USA '93 option you know about ?

Next week I hope to get the crankset (M900 near NOS) I bought from Al-Capone (never knew he's still alive :LOL: ) and than find me some M900 brakes in very good condition so I can get 'm look 'used' myself during the summer.

Attachments

• White Industries hub+ Wheelsmith spokes.JPG
    White Industries hub+ Wheelsmith spokes.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 11,851
  • Ritchey Z-max 1.9 WCS.JPG
    Ritchey Z-max 1.9 WCS.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 11,851
  • Mongoose-AMP (2).JPG
    Mongoose-AMP (2).JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 11,851
Gulp :shock:

Great choice for your next build. Of all the photos I have oggled at on this site the AMP's always jump out at me.. lovely frames, awesome if not a little scary looking forks. I'd love to find a garden gate version.

Thanks for sharing :D

Quick update on the build

Thanks for the reactions on this one :D

Here is a quick update on the parts dripping in at the moment...

I hope in a couple of weeks I finish the bike to take it for a first spin in the woods. Maybe I go for a temporary stem for a while. The Ringlé is quit difficult to find in the right lenght/colour/rise/size... :? to much wishes I think..

Maybe you guys have some ideas on the stem ?

I had in mind to build the bike with M900 parts, white Industries hubs and bottom bracket, Ringlé seatpost, QR's and stem. Topped of with a Chris King head set. Everything in silver, but maybe I change ideas on that.

If you know one, give me a good reason to go (completely) an other way.. :LOL:

Here are some pic's of what came in last week

Attachments

• XTR M900 canti's.jpg
    XTR M900 canti's.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 11,654
  • XTR M900 crankset.jpg
    XTR M900 crankset.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 11,654
my old frame it belonged to jango before me i got it in payment for building some wheels for him and the forks i got off him later on wish id kept it now :shock: i fitted the headset and serviced the shox (jango found a link on here on how to service them) she's looking stunning it was mad for mongoose by amp with a mongoose front end and amp supplyed the rear end and shox :cool: :cool:

Back