Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:28 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:52 pm 
BoTM Winner
BoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:19 pm
Posts: 1329
Location: USA
Jeff, the rims look cool. What hubs did or will you get?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:09 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 3:09 am
Posts: 126
Location: Michigan USA
Ductape wrote:
Jeff, the rims look cool. What hubs did or will you get?


Thanks T

I'm going contemporary Sturmey Archer...

XL-FD up front -- 90 mm drum
X-RD8(W) out back -- 8 speed drum


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:29 pm 
Old School Hero

Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:12 am
Posts: 237
J_Westy wrote:
street wrote:
How much can you expect to pay for a Schwinn DX frame or a complete bike like that these days? I've been wanting to build one since I first learnt my MTB history and I think this year could be the year :)


It's my favorite year too with the '36-'38 C-model a close 2nd.

I was lucky and found mine cheap (free after selling off the parts).

But, from what I've seen, you'll pay $100-300 for a frame or frame/fork in the US.

Here's one for $220:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/bik/1649296740.html



Thanks for the info, that's not as expensive as I thought! :P
That one in the link on Craigslist looks great for the money. I guess once I've shipped it here it'll be a bit less of a bargain but still,at least I know what I need to save to get one :)

Again good luck with yours, I think having the rims anodized was a good choice. Looking forward to the next update!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:44 pm 
BoTM Winner
BoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:19 pm
Posts: 1329
Location: USA
street wrote:
J_Westy wrote:
street wrote:
How much can you expect to pay for a Schwinn DX frame or a complete bike like that these days? I've been wanting to build one since I first learnt my MTB history and I think this year could be the year :)


It's my favorite year too with the '36-'38 C-model a close 2nd.

I was lucky and found mine cheap (free after selling off the parts).

But, from what I've seen, you'll pay $100-300 for a frame or frame/fork in the US.

Here's one for $220:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/bik/1649296740.html



Thanks for the info, that's not as expensive as I thought! :P
That one in the link on Craigslist looks great for the money. I guess once I've shipped it here it'll be a bit less of a bargain but still,at least I know what I need to save to get one :)

Again good luck with yours, I think having the rims anodized was a good choice. Looking forward to the next update!


FWIW,
I think the cost of a cool klunker sneaks up on you. The nature of the bike is such that each piece is bought seperately. Just look at J's, build here and see the labor of love over every component. Before you know it, you have spent more money than you would like your wife to know about. If you start with a newer bike like a quality 80's boutique bike frame, you can usually find a correct production bike in good shape to use as a donor.This is one of the reasons I like the klunkers so much. Each one is a reflection of the owners vision (and pocketbook) of what a klunker should be.
Cheers,
T


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:00 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 3:09 am
Posts: 126
Location: Michigan USA
Picked up the seatpost from the anodizer today -- went with clear this time.

Like the last one, my buddy turned it out of 1" 6061 stock. 13/16 main shaft and a 7/8" head.

Image

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:28 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:00 pm
Posts: 5611
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne
cant wait to see it built :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:44 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:36 pm
Posts: 360
Location: Sweden
Yeah, this looks to be something real special.
This forum is the real deal :twisted:
Jan


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:58 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 1:29 pm
Posts: 10798
Location: Manchester, UK
excited.. 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:20 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:05 pm
Posts: 9245
That reminds me that i have to turn down a new seatpost for mine. It got bent chasing the DH boys down Innerleithen Black Run last summer :lol:

Looking good. Any more progress?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:53 pm 
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:03 pm
Posts: 11796
Location: Returning
Dr S wrote:
That reminds me that i have to turn down a new seatpost for mine. It got bent chasing the DH boys down Innerleithen Black Run last summer :lol:



S ,that dont come across to well

but i know what you mean :D


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Cheshire1980, DynaCol, phoog and 40 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group