1939 DX Schwinn Ace -- Finished

J_Westy

Old School Hero
I really wasn't looking for new klunker project, but this DX popped up on the local craigslist and I couldn't pass it up :D

CraigslistAd.jpg

The frame looks decent. The seat stay cross brace needs to be re-brazed and the weld at the head and down tube is kinda funky, but nothing serious. S/N: B21178

DSC_0003-2.jpg

DSC_0136-1.jpg

DSC_0137.jpg

I have a few things hanging around to start my parts collection... so the quest for good deals commences.

Brooks B-72: Nice condition in black with chrome rails, no date stamp

DSC_0004.jpg

Araya 7C Rims: Anyway I think they are 7Cs. NOS 26x1.75

ArayaRims.jpg

Araya1.jpg

Araya3.jpg

Akisu BMX forks: Stamped 1983

P1100858.jpg

Sturmey Archer X-RD8(W) Hub: 8 speed IGH, 70mm drum brake. It's not supposed to be super strong, but the SA guy said this newer "W" is stronger and should be okay if I'm really careful to not shift under load.

S80_Hub.jpg

What ya trying to do, kill me!!

I'm just getting over the last build :shock:

Good luck with your new project.I expect it finished by Christmas day so we can all kid our other halfs "yes darling it's yours, merry christmas" :LOL:

al":21nlo7ni said:
Good luck with your new project.I expect it finished by Christmas day so we can all kid our other halfs "yes darling it's yours, merry christmas" :LOL:

Christmas ain't gonna happen at my pace ;)

Picked up this chrome plated Ashtabula stem off of the bay. Date stamped 1979. It's off of a Schwinn Stingray.

Asking around the BMX forums, it's the same as the black oxide version except for the possibility that the bolts may not be heat treated? Much cheaper than the black oxide ones. Look for the side wedge and the chamfer in the handlebar clamp slot.

P1100876.jpg

Hi J
I liked soooo much your schwinn Bomber that I voted for it in the dec. BOTM !
But it seems to me that your new bike was in quite decent condition to just refurbish it and use it as a retro bike. I like any kind of cool retro bike especialy when they have a nice patina as yours.
Are you sure you want to give it the big treatment ?
Cheers

karlomanx":qz81zfjv said:
Hi J
I like any kind of cool retro bike especialy when they have a nice patina as yours.
Are you sure you want to give it the big treatment ?
Cheers

I like the idea of patina too, but the frame needs a couple of small repairs and the paint isn't original anyway.

Maybe the next one :D

Thanks for the vote!

Another goodie came the mail today!

I've always liked these levers since I saw them on my college roommates late '80's C'dale. Not exactly klunker era correct, but I think they are cool.

NOS/NIB 1987 Dia Compe AD 290 4-finger levers in grey

P1110002.jpg

Got my mitts on a NOS Tange TX-1200 fork. Super nice condition. It's going to hurt cutting down the steerer tube!

I believe "1L" means 1981 December

It's a full pound lighter than the Akisu above.

P1110037.jpg

P1110033.jpg

P1110034.jpg

P1110035.jpg

P1110036.jpg

Back