92 Kili Racer rebuild MK2 (updated pics)

porkypaw

Retro Guru
18 months ago I rebuilt my 92 Kili Racer, I cut the steerer tube off to push out bar spin damage to the top tube and re-welded it back on.The top tube was smoothed with a small amount of body filler to finish it off, I couldn't colour match the original red so went for white instead.

Move on 18 months and the paint job bodge was starting to bug me and wanted a powder coat finish but the coater said that body filler was a no no for the coating process, so I decided to remove it an smooth over the top tube with braze which would stand the heat of the coating process.
After 2 hours of brazing, filing and a lot of swearing the top tube looked like a dogs back leg, not straight, not round.... and that's when Basil Fawlty mode kicked in...
RIGHT YOU B****** YOUR COMING OFF !!!!
Break out the dremmel.
Off to Bob Jacksons and bought a piece of Reynolds 631 butted top tube for £21, half a day of cutting and shaping new top tube fitted up. Also took off the rear canti bracket and moved cable guides to top of tube, ragged loads of shorts and Ron Hills on them I have.
Welded up top tube and brazed on cable guides and now I'm ready for a decent finish putting on. :D

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 3,376
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 3,376
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 3,376
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 3,376
Bloody hell.

I get all smug when my gears work...

This is proper resto!!!

Amazing! :shock:

Good work indeed. Must be very handy to be able to do a bit of brazing every now and then.
I'll look forward to seeing this one built up, and I'll know who to turn to should I ever need mine repairing.

Is now not the time to tell you there is a filler that can be powdercoated? One of my mates had a frame filled with it then coated.

Very good job though :)

Pip

Yup now is not a good time, :cry:
I looked at plastic metal but it only went to around 180c, coating is around 200c so thought I'd replace it. The good news is at least the guides are where they should be.

That is one hell of a repair, Im liking your attention to detail attitude and the no subsitute will do approach :cool:

I am watching this rebuild with great eagerness,

Sorry to bump old posts but did you ever get this finished cause it was a damn fine start!

coomber":2i77b26d said:
Sorry to bump old posts but did you ever get this finished cause it was a damn fine start!

Dont apologise, I missed this first time and would be keen to learn what came of it.

Back