94 GT Zaskar, new stickers 20/12/09.

jimihendrix

MacRetro Rider
Had been looking for a 16" Zaskar for a while, had a couple of deals fall through then noticed Awkward Kid posted his 16" Zaskar in the WIW thread, so i talked him into selling me the frame :D, 16" Zaskars are a bit harder to find than 18's.

Started throwing it together last night, this is the stage thismorning, build for now with just what i have laying around, will have STX Cranks and Canti's for now, XT 737 levers/shifters and XT735 rear mech, this will be my main hammer bike so not going for a flash or original build anyway.

Forks are Bomber Z3's with the disc mount cut off and repainted gold, fork bridge is with a neighbour who is (hopefully) welding a canti hanger on.

Waiting on stickers from Gil-m, these will be the early style ones with ZASKAR LE on the downtube.

zaskarside.jpg

zaskarfront.jpg

Not sure if i'd trust this :?, steerer is a decent length but did'nt allow for the depth of the Syncros stem, clamp will be on 3/4 steerer 1/4 fresh air, tightens up ok though so not sure if i should look for a longer steerer ? will i be risking using my face as a brake ? lol:, have another single bolt stem that fits the whole steerer but it's a cheap Truvative thing that would'nt look as good as the Syncros.

steerer.jpg

get a spacer turned up a couple of thou smaller than the steerer tube
so the split clamp insert thingy can sit properly and you'll be okay
had this problem before and solved it this way
however if you do end up using your face as a brake , IT'S NOT MY FAULT.

the 16" frame is a more visually appealing shape than the bigger or smaller
ones imho
just get a set of onza ho's on it

like what you done with the forks btw

i had an 18" and a 16" like that (mag 21's) bitd

mikee":1nhg3lex said:
get a spacer turned up a couple of thou smaller than the steerer tube
so the split clamp insert thingy can sit properly and you'll be okay
had this problem before and solved it this way
however if you do end up using your face as a brake , IT'S NOT MY FAULT.

the 16" frame is a more visually appealing shape than the bigger or smaller
ones imho
just get a set of onza ho's on it

like what you done with the forks btw

i had an 18" and a 16" like that (mag 21's) bitd

Cheers, mentioned the stem to a few of the MacRetro massive last night, general consensus is that it'll be fine (this opinion was in the pub a bit plastered though :LOL: ), should be ok as the bolt is clamping on the steerer.

Been offered a steerer extender though so may give that a try.

lovely......i wouldnt overdo the sticker thing,that looks great as it is,everyone who needs to know will know exactly what it is!.... ;)

feetabix":1e8wnxze said:
lovely......i wouldnt overdo the sticker thing,that looks great as it is,everyone who needs to know will know exactly what it is!.... ;)

Cheers, got to go for the stickers (besides Gil is on the case :) ), always wanted one with the early style decals.

Hans is the man :cool:

hansrey.jpg

Got the grips, gears, rear brake and cables built up yesterday, pretty much ready to ride, just waiting on the fork brace and stickers, have a really crappy camera though which only takes pics in daylight so will post more pics at the weekend, hopefully be finished by then too :cool:

Here is the gil_m old skool Zaskar set.

My old Zaskar was actually an LE but Gil didnt have the LE section on file, so I was happy to buy it without that edition.

I got the head tube, top tube x2, downtube x2, seattube and Competition Series x2 for the seat stays.

dscn2144_411.jpg

Yep, those are the ones :) , i've gone for the "GT"s in white too, the "LE" will be in black block style, "competition series" on the seatstays too, should look pretty good :cool:

jimihendrix":32pazshd said:
Yep, those are the ones :) , i've gone for the "GT"s in white too, the "LE" will be in black block style, "competition series" on the seatstays too, should look pretty good :cool:

Cool. Same set as mine with the addition I was after! :LOL:

Damn my lack of patience :roll:

Look forward to seeing this build finished. Do me a favour though, nice as those forks are, please get some Mag 20/21's and do it justice ;)

Pickle":19m3zw1o said:
Do me a favour though, nice as those forks are, please get some Mag 20/21's and do it justice ;)

Funny you should mention that :LOL: , there's a nice set of 21's in the for sale section i've been umming and aahhing over for the last ten minutes or so, pretty much up to my spend limit though.

This site will ruin me i swear :LOL:

Back