1996 GT Zaskar Ink Blue !!!!

Mattythemod

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Bit of background here on this one .....i had a 96 Red Zaskar back in the day and loved it to bits why i ever sold it i just dont know but when the opportunity came by on E bay to pick this frame up which was poorly listed and pictured i could not resist .

Its took me about 4 months to source all the various period parts with lots of help form the retrobike massive , a special shout has to go out to Cannondalking and Average Mark for all there support and encouragement.

I have tried to be pretty faithul to what my idea of mid 90s Zaskar should look like so it has a pretty standard XT set up with a few biits thrown in !!

Enough of my babbling i will let you read the spec sheet and enjoy the photos :cool:

Frame: 1996 GT Zaskar Ink Blue

Fork: Gt Cr-mo

Headset: Wtb
Stem: Kore
Handlebar: Gt
Grips: GT
Brakes: Shimano m739 v brakes
Brake Pads: Shimano Cartridge
Brake Cables: Clarks
Brake Levers: Shimano XT
Shifters: Shimano XT
Front Derailleur: Shimano XT
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT
Derailleur Cables: Clarks
Cassette: HG70
Chain: HG 50
Cranks: Middleburn RS1
Crank Bolts: Shimano
Chainrings: Middelburn
Chainring bolts: Shimano
Bottom Bracket: Shimano
Pedals: Shimano LX
Hub Skewers: Genric no name steel
Rims: Sun Lite
Hubs: Red GT Hadley hubs
Nipples: Red nipples
Spokes: Double butted
Tyres: WTB Velociraptor
Tubes: Standard Conti tubes
Saddle: Titec Berserker
Seatpost: Standard Silver post ( and yes its a 27.2 mm !!!)
Seatpost Binder: M part genric collar

Weight:24 pounds and 15 oz

Attachments

• zaskar 002 (Small).jpg
    zaskar 002 (Small).jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 5,889
  • zaskar 004 (Small).jpg
    zaskar 004 (Small).jpg
    47 KB · Views: 5,886
  • zaskar 013 (Small).jpg
    zaskar 013 (Small).jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 5,884
  • zaskar 019 (Small).jpg
    zaskar 019 (Small).jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 5,886
8lezard":2bzyjzr2 said:
Love the red GT hubs on the blue frame. :cool:

Cheers I think the Red hubs look nice with the red nipples and red bottle cage bolts me and Avg Mark went out for a spin earlier today and it certainly brought back some memories for me :LOL:

95 or 96 Model year frame? IMHO the 95 model year Blue and Yellow bock style decals looked the best on the Ink Blue frames but nobody has any originals left and I haven't had any time to work with Gil on getting the size down pat on them yet.

Attachments

• PICT0051.JPG
    PICT0051.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 5,790
Ignore this if you wish:

The zaskar frame is designed with suspension forks in mind (shortish travel!) - if you can find some slightly longer suspension corrected GT forks, it transforms the ride and makes it less prone to 'tramlining' which I bet this one does.

I only mention it as it took me some 10 years to work out why I hated the ride of my zaskar until I got some randomly longer forks on it.

gm1230126":3hwosx7p said:
95 or 96 Model year frame? IMHO the 95 model year Blue and Yellow bock style decals looked the best on the Ink Blue frames but nobody has any originals left and I haven't had any time to work with Gil on getting the size down pat on them yet.

Its a 96 frame mate , These decals are a 100% repro taken from the original on the bike before i stripped it along with additional pictures from the 1996 GT catalog .

I suspect all these Zaskar decals were hand applied BITD hence why there seems to be many variances in placement and positioning .

Back