1994 Rocky Mountain Edge

nporternz

Gold Trader
Marin Fan
Feedback
View
Bought this today but dont know what year

looks like XTR cranks but i'm not sure (maybe seatpost too???)

Hope front hub and AMP forks and rear end.

Rock Shox front disc and Magura rear

RISER BARS AN BAR ENDS WILL GO :twisted:

Attachments

• 111153798_full.jpg
    111153798_full.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 2,902
  • 111153792_full.jpg
    111153792_full.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 2,907
  • 111153775_full.jpg
    111153775_full.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 2,911
  • 111153781_full.jpg
    111153781_full.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 2,907
That's the original 1993 The Edge Nick. It's shown in the catalogue on here. There's also an article about one in the archive somewhere. I think it was only sold as a frame/forks, so it isn't listed in Bikepedia. The one in the catalogue has a quill stem, so yours must either have a quill-ahead converter (can't quite see) or a later fork?

I agree about losing the bar ends, but it could be that the risers suit the character of the bike. One thing about the design that is clearly a mistake in my view is that early xc-oriented full-suspension bikes kept the long low stem and flat bars that were still considered the only way to go for xc. But they don't really work with xc full suspension. I'd keep the riser bar and use a shorter stem with some rise. Could be quite a good bike to ride then.

Personally I'd fit Maguras to the front as well. That disc must weigh a ton, and you're doing the fork no favours if you don't minimise the unsprung weight.

All seems in superb condition. Knowing you, you paid about £50 for it I expect.

Anthony":5hz4nk05 said:
That's the original 1993 The Edge Nick. It's shown in the catalogue on here. There's also an article about one in the archive somewhere. I think it was only sold as a frame/forks, so it isn't listed in Bikepedia. The one in the catalogue has a quill stem, so yours must either have a quill-ahead converter (can't quite see) or a later fork?

I agree about losing the bar ends, but it could be that the risers suit the character of the bike. One thing about the design that is clearly a mistake in my view is that early xc-oriented full-suspension bikes kept the long low stem and flat bars that were still considered the only way to go for xc. But they don't really work with xc full suspension. I'd keep the riser bar and use a shorter stem with some rise. Could be quite a good bike to ride then.

Personally I'd fit Maguras to the front as well. That disc must weigh a ton, and you're doing the fork no favours if you don't minimise the unsprung weight.

I would say it was the 1994 version, the sloping seat Q/R (1993 in the catalouge is part of the frame for some reason... well that and the decals are like the 1994 and not 1993 one, also cable routing is underneath (1994, they where on the top 1993)
I would also say most including the forks where after market addons as in 1994 the Edge did not come with AMP forks.

Yes it is an M900 XTR cahinset, and teh 1992 version if the rings are original. A 'bodge' shimmed front mech (M901) as well :)

Saying that, Rocky Mountain could of course alter their bikes to what is shown in the catalouge.

You're right FluffyChicken, this is a 1994 The Edge. Important point that, the name is The Edge, not Edge. I think The Edge is a better name myself, carrying connotations such as this bike could give you the advantage that you need to win, which just Edge doesn't convey so well.

Having researched this important matter further, I have decided that most of the The Edges that I have pics of and that I thought were 93s are in fact 94s. The main difference of course is that in 93 the mainframe was made of Tange Prestige, whereas in 94 it was Easton Program and in 95 it was Easton Elite HBO. I think the one that TheBoy has shown in the other thread in yellow with red decals is a 95, when it was called just Edge TO. I have no pic of a 95 in the catalogue colour, only yellow ones.

It seems that the steel 93 The Edges were red with black decals and the 94s were red with white decals. Is that an Easton Program sticker you have there Nick?

I mentioned the cable routing, and like good old Rocky Mountain in the Edge vs Amp review (July/June 1993 so a few month before that the mag was released and probably a few month before that to do the review itself...) the routing was under the top tube.

The other review is mid 1994 though the The Edge.

I will say I know little about these bikes and anything information will help :D

Anthony":2b90a9wh said:

yeah i was thinking maguras too!!

50 quid nah! not for this one mate!! prob about 150 at the exchange at the moment!

beepbeep":3jffophk said:
:LOL:

You're amazing Nic!
I'm on the first plane to NZ!!!

there are certainly a few bargains to be had here!!! not many other places you could get a Klein Rascal frame in very good condition with matching forks and mc1 for 100quid

there is a LOT of rubbish though

Not to mention that New Zealand has just qualified for the Soccer world cup for the first time in 27 years...

Latest posts

Back