orange prestige 1993

clockworkgazz

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Got this frame yesterday from the bay and looking to get it licked back into shape. Initially my heart sank as I heard lots of tiny bits of rust rattling about in the rear wishbone coupled with the very rusty bottom bracket, however after much shaking and a closer inspection, I'm pretty sure she can be treated and protected from further decay :cool:

I never really liked the purple/silver fade much preferred the matt black earlier prestige's so think I will go down that route (also fancy the powdercoat option as it is more durable and cheaper than a fade). Looking at early xt and pace forks pretty much robbing all the bits from the clockwork as TBH it is a wee bit cramped for me (the prestige is 1 inch longer in the top-tube but the same size as the clockwork)

It is in the towel cupboard getting super dry and then its waxoyl time, drill a drainage hole in the BB and then a trip to the powdercoaters.

prestige7.jpg

prestige4.jpg

prestige6.jpg

prestige5.jpg

prestige3.jpg

prestige2.jpg

Buy a bottle of Hammerite Kurust, pour it into the frame and let it slosh about, it neutralises the rust and turns it black, then blast some Waxoyl through it ;)

jimihendrix":34ovij9h said:
Buy a bottle of Hammerite Kurust, pour it into the frame and let it slosh about, it neutralises the rust and turns it black, then blast some Waxoyl through it ;)

+1 also when you waxoyl sit it in a bucket of hot water, this'll thin it a bit and give you better coverage. :)

Not wishing to be pedantic, but surely the sequence is 1. Kurust, 2. powdercoat, 3. waxoyl? i.e., the powdercoat bake would turn the waxoyl to useless gunge (and possibly damage the new paint?)

I think the Kurust idea is sound, but you ought to file/sand away as much rust as you can from the bb shell before you apply the Kurust, as I'm not sure how deep it penetrates - so if you have really deep rust, there's a danger of leaving a layer of rust between the sound steel and the new black outer surface, and that could prove unstable.

I didn't know a Prestige was an inch longer than a Clockwork - what is the c-c length of that top tube then?

I like it when you are pedantic Anthony because it is invariably correct- thanks ;)

yeah the frame size is 17.5 centre of bottom bracket to centre top tube and 22.5 ctoc toptube whereas the clockwork is 17.5 and 21.5

Need to be careful when cleaning out the BB that I don't damage the threads.

Matt black with orange decals I think pretend that it is older than it really is, how do they ride compared to a clockwork? similar but lighter?

clockworkgazz":78yy3ikh said:
Matt black with orange decals I think pretend that it is older than it really is, how do they ride compared to a clockwork? similar but lighter?

Like the sound of that Gazz... there's been a good crop of orange projects lately.... I've still got another "O" on the back burner!
How about matt gold graphics on black.... formula esque?

.... as for ride, you know my preference!

Look forward to seeing your progress.

boy"O"boy

clockworkgazz":k0x1fyzy said:
A bit like this one?

Yes, I guess similar but lighter does justice to both parties in that excellent comparison.

Attachments

• 1992 Prestige frame size 19.jpg
    1992 Prestige frame size 19.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 6,116
Yeah that's the colour scheme but not so much the computer style font, the ones with the orange and rounder font if that makes sense

Mine was a bit crusty down there too even though tidier on the outside. I didn't think of rust treating it, the Waxoyl didn't go in properly either so its not too late now were still a squirrelling stage ;)

Going the black route is probably a good idea, I'll still miss my black un when the purple fade is built.

clockworkgazz":2tdiokf6 said:
Yeah that's the colour scheme but not so much the computer style font, the ones with the orange and rounder font if that makes sense

Gil does a brilliant repro set of just the ones your after Gazz. I got some for my old Prestige before I sold it. :cry:

Back