My "Daily Driver" - Raleigh Peak (1991?)

Analog Kid

Old School Hero
Feedback
View
I've had this since it was new and although this is the third Frame due to some dodgy brazing on Raleigh's part it's largely original with the obvious exception of the pedals. It is currently in use as my daily commuter with the occasional ride out and normally sports a pair of clip-on sprayguards

peak.jpg

It has the original drivetrain although I'm starting to experience problems with the chain skipping on the cassette under load so I'm not sure how much longer that will be the case! It had the original transfers until about 12 months ago when they started to flake off so I have since removed them, the only survivors being the Reynolds K2 label and a Jo Burt sticker on one of the rear stays.

The Titanium bars were swapped out due to the overly large centre bulge making the fitting of Bar-ends nearly impossible without severely compromising hand space and the BB is now a Deore cartridge rather than the original Tange open-bearing type. I have also rebuilt both wheels with DT Swiss Competition spokes in the last week. The Seatpin and Saddle were replaced some time ago although I can't recall the exact reason, probably a welded adjuster bolt.

Anyway, I've been lurking about for a while and thought I'd join in :)

I like that too. Looks good with decals.
IMHO i'd remove the purple bits. But that's just me :roll:

I love the old Raleigh 'Off Road' range. I had the Ravine for quite some time, adored that bike.......but I did really want the Summit ;)

Any chance of some more pics?

i had one of them too...frikkin thing landed on me after i fell/crashed/flew down a cliff side..(25 feet and clean with a gentle landing using my head to break the fall)...i nowhave a big ring scar on my right leg and a semi permenant neck injury which still hurts now....really liked that bike forits toughness.... :cool:

I've still got a 1993 Apex, its lovely to ride, much better than I expected, but a bit small (17") so its for sale soon. :-/

Similarly the stickers flaked off, and got K2, decent and attractive frame.

I agree with the less is more on the purple on this bike bits. ;) black or silver would be good, or maybe a a full work out of gold?

The reason I went with Purple was that the Peak logo across the top tube was in Purple with a black drop-shadow/3d effect so it seemed the natural way to go, funnily enough I'd already recently reached the conclusion that I'd probably go with black if I had my time again :) I may swap things for black bits at some point but I need to get the drivetrain sorted before I do anything else.

I'll get some more pics sorted in due course.

Some more pics as requested :)

Firstly a collection of shots I took this afternoon:

peakmontage.jpg

And I've also found some old photos from when it was shiny and new:

newpeak1.jpg

newpeak2.jpg

newdrive.jpg

And a bit of a Retro group shot, Summit, Peak, GT Timberline and my Brother's old Saracen

retrogroup.jpg

The current spec of the Peak is:

Controls

Kona 165 flat bar on the original Zoom "Titanium" finished stem. Trek System 2 L bends and the original Shimano STI levers with "Piano-key/Push-Push" shifters. Headset is the original Tioga Avenger although the bearings have been replaced at least once.

Wheels

Original Deore LX Hubs laced to the original Rigida Laser 400 dark-anodised rims with DT-Swiss Competition spokes, Tyres are some non-descript generic knobblies from the LBS

Brakes

Original Deore LX Cantis with new blocks and Tektro "Triangle" bridges.

Drivetrain

Original Deore LX chainset on a Deore Cartridge BB, Original Chain and Cassette, Both Derailleurs are original and the front has seen better days but still shifts well.

As I mentioned above, this is actually the Third frame due to the loss of a rear brake boss followed by one of the seat-stays coming adrift where it meets the seat tube, both times Raleigh exchanged it without question. The only other component failure I had was one of the STI shifters losing a tooth fairly early on, again it was swapped out under warranty.

The only thing I can't figure out is exactly how old it is, I know it replaced my stolen DB Ascent which was nicked during the 91/92 academic year but I can't remember whether I got the Raleigh before or after Christmas, anyone know when this range was introduced?

Back