94 Kona Cindercone

andrewl

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
As I've posted this in the BOTM Mid Range Special, I probably should post it here for comment etc

I spoted this fairly orginal 1994 Cindercone for sale a while back and with the assistance of Ed (orange71) I had it sent half way accross the world to me. While the spec isn't that great and it has a few marks, it is pretty much as it left the shop back in 1994, which was appealing to me.

I need to fix up a few minor things like touch up some scratches etc, but its perfectly ridable as it is now.

Specs as follows, and I've coloured items red where they different to the 94 Kona catalog spec.

Frame: 1994 Kona Cindercone 19" Tange DB Cromo, Kona superlight stays

Fork: Kona Project Two triple butted

Headset: Impact
Stem: Race Light Velocity
Handlebar: Kona Slim 165 T6-6061 Al
Grips: Horrible clear things
Barends: Profile - soon to be removed

Brakes: Race Light
Brake Pads: Later cartridge type
Brake Cables: No idea, but likely to be original
Cantilever cable hangers: standard cheap things
Brake Levers: Kona High Command

Shifters: Deore top mount
Front Derailleur: Deore LX
Rear Derailleur: Deore LX
Derailleur Cables: Shimano
Cassette: Shimano HG70 11-28
Chain: KMC HP70
Cranks: Sugino Impel 500
Crank Bolts: Not sure but cheap
Chainrings: 42/32/22 Sugino Super Shifter
Chainring bolts: No name
Bottom Bracket: Shimano UN51 (113mm)
Pedals: Kona (Wellgo from memory)

Hub Skewers: Cheap Shimano
Rims: Bontrager BCX-1/BCX-3 (just a weinmann rims with Bontrager stickers)
Hubs: Front: Kona Race Light Rear: Deore LX
Nipples: ?
Spokes: 14/15G DB Stainless
Tyres: Front: A:\ Drive Rear: B:\ Drive
Tubes: ?

Saddle: Kona Race Light
Seatpost: Kona Race Light (Kalloy)
Seatpost Binder: Kona Race Light

Weight: Not sure or the actual weight, but its not race light...

Attachments

• Cindercone2.jpg
    Cindercone2.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 2,782
  • Cindercone1.jpg
    Cindercone1.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 2,783
That is a beautiful bike, the lacker seems to be in a mint condition!
I love the colour.

I would sign my bike for he BOTM competition, but since my 96 Cinder Cone has an XT rear derailleur it is not qualified. I would vote for yours anyway!

By the way, how do you recognize a P2 triple butted fork?

Nice bike there Andrew, nice colour isn't it? I thought you were a size 20 kind of guy though?

Very very very nice :LOL:, This is the colour I wanted bitd in 1994 as an insurance replacement but was given the grey version, I recently purchased another in grey in near original spec but yours has original tyres and saddle :? the race lite brakes are a let down , especially the levers with the holes that are painfull to use.

A lovley bike that rides well and is still very light weight :cool:

Aaldert":1e6oitkz said:
By the way, how do you recognize a P2 triple butted fork?

I don't actually know that it is triple butted, the catalog says it is, but I'm not that convinced. It is the original fork though.

Anthony":3pc8n5tx said:
Nice bike there Andrew, nice colour isn't it? I thought you were a size 20 kind of guy though?

It is a lovely colour, and its my favourite from 1994.

Yes the King Kahuna is a 20" and this is a 19" but size wise they don't feel that much different. I normally go on the top tube length anyway and the longer stem on this bike does balance this out nicely.

I also have a 18" 1998 Cindercone set up as a commuter, which is a bit small but its great riding through town traffic.

The Hot I'm building up is also a 19" frame.

Gravy Monster":m9nuxtmj said:
the race lite brakes are a let down , especially the levers with the holes that are painfull to use.

A lovley bike that rides well and is still very light weight :cool:

Yes the brake levers are rather nasty. The bar ends have the original Kona race light bar plugs in the end on them too, and when I remove them and put some new grips on they will be put back into the bars where they belong.

Ride wise I think the old Cindercone feels heavy, although I'm not sure if its just the wheels, the whole build in general or the other bikes I'm comparing it to. It certainly takes more effort to hang it up next to its friends in the garage...

andrewl":7t2p5v1g said:
Ride wise I think the old Cindercone feels heavy, although I'm not sure if its just the wheels, the whole build in general or the other bikes I'm comparing it to. It certainly takes more effort to hang it up next to its friends in the garage...
It could be the wheels. My 97 Kilauea weighed 24.7 when I bought it. Not heavy, even for a rigid bike, but a lot heavier than Kona's claim. The wheel package weighed just over 9lbs for an XT/221 wheelset with LX cassette and wire bead Scratch and Sniff. I never quite worked out why it was all so heavy, even taking into account the plain-gauge spokes, but I didn't think it was good value on a £1,000 rigid bike. Albeit it was a well-built wheelset, still true when I sold it. But with hand-built XT/517/DT Rev/XT cassette and kevlar Explorer/Escape I knocked 1.8lbs off and the bike felt quite a bit livelier.

I would guess a 94 Cinder Cone frame in size 19 weighs around 4.8/4.9lbs, which is pretty good for a mid-range frame. Ride with pride.

Anthony":3kl9lf10 said:
It could be the wheels. My 97 Kilauea weighed 24.7 when I bought it...

I would guess a 94 Cinder Cone frame in size 19 weighs around 4.8/4.9lbs, which is pretty good for a mid-range frame. Ride with pride.

94 Catalog lists the weight for the cindercone with a P2 as 25.4lbs (26.9lbs with XC51), so correcting for the rather optimistic Kona weights I'd say its closer to 27lbs (which ii also feels), which is a bit of a lump for a rigid hardtail.

Back