Marin Muirwoods 1989 REBUILD!, sunglasses recommended.

Charlieboy28

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Right after finally successfuly identifying my old marin as an 1989 Murwoods

see

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... arlieboy28

if you can be arsed that is,

i decided to go with Benandemus advice and try to restore her back to her neon yellow loveliness.

not as easy as first thought, apparently neons/ flourescents are hard to achieve in powder coat, and the LBS advised against it, however after some persuasion and a deal struck where they said if it turns out crap we aint gonna do it again coz we warned ya, the frame went off first to the frame builder to remove seized bottom bracket and then to the powder coaters.

anyway she used to look like this

and here she is now, complete with sugino white industry crank had polished with all new rings not period correct but came of a later marin and looks nice me thinks, and a new stronglight headset which was very similar to the original,

in real life it is sooooo much brighter, its like a brand new high vis vest type colour, it really really glows, and is pretty darn close i think to the original

anyway here she is

some more bits added

right some more bits added,and im sure im not putting things on in the right order really just as they come, i notice people here tend to leave saddles brakes til later and im sure there are reasons for that that i will discover when i start making problems for myself.

right on goes a quill converter, wasnt sure about how it would look, but im quite happy, and a marin stem, not period correct, but it was new cheap and marin!
some comp lite bars, cheap and new,
stx front brakes very cheap and new.
8 speed lx combi shifters, NOS and relatively cheap.
Kalloy seat post, cheap and new and original spec.
ponza saddle, neraly new, cheap and looks nice i think.
x lite bar ends, ermm not sure when they first were made like this, but nearly new cheap and look nice
and some yellow onza ules, which we will come back to, as i think we have a problem with a clash of yellows, thoughts on this please

I think they had difficulty understanding why i wanted it that yellow,

when they rang me to say it was ready, he actually said "now i have to warn you it is very yellow" lol and "it isnt my cup of tea".

it was more they said go at your own risk, as apparently yellow is less forgiving if the powder coat goes on uneven and its more noticable, they also said the guns or whatever they use might not be cleaned and it could come back very flecky. They had crossed out all but three yellows on their ral chart due to poor results and unhappy customers.

one of the powder coaters they use said he wouldnt do it even.
it was one of those where i knew it was a risk,but also had a gut feeling it would work out, so im well chuffed

Nice work there dude, but to answer your post, black grips would look nicer in my opinion, let the frame do the talking ;)

Charlieboy28":1s3qaszz said:
I think they had difficulty understanding why i wanted it that yellow,

when they rang me to say it was ready, he actually said "now i have to warn you it is very yellow" lol and "it isnt my cup of tea".

it was more they said go at your own risk, as apparently yellow is less forgiving if the powder coat goes on uneven and its more noticable, they also said the guns or whatever they use might not be cleaned and it could come back very flecky. They had crossed out all but three yellows on their ral chart due to poor results and unhappy customers.

one of the powder coaters they use said he wouldnt do it even.
it was one of those where i knew it was a risk,but also had a gut feeling it would work out, so im well chuffed
the result deffo warranted the risk...lovely

right i totally agree about the yellow grips, but here in lies the problem,
this being my first build and a few months back when i knew the bike was going to be yellow, i came across some NOS DDG hubs with yellow ano rimmed wheels, lovely i thought ,yellow rims yellow frame go nice that, then found the grips matched the rims a treat,

grips no problem to replace and cheap too, what about the wheels,
i know it doesnt look right, but im trying to convince myself that with the rims matching the grips it gets away with it,

anyway the said wheels now on, with porc repro's and some gussett (modern sorry) pedals half way between a platform and a beartrap type thing, which i thought looked nice, oh and a silver canti bridge.

Back