Klunker project - now finished!!!!

biglev

BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Hi,

Just though you might like to see my Klunker project.

its a Schwinn DX from the 40'S. I want to make a hybrid clunker liek allan bonds: http://clunkers.net/RedHybrid/red_hybrid.html

Anyways here are soem pics of the stripped frame.I am brazing on canti bosses and cable guide. I also wided the rerar end to 126mm for seom 70's large flange geared hubs. My Brazing is not as good as it was 20 years ago so some work needed to make it tidy. Anyways here it is with one bridge and canties done:
1. Old Bridges cut out and canties on:
pbpic4180652.jpg

2. First new bridge in:
pbpic4180653.jpg

I will keep you all posted.

Cheers to DrS for all his help with specs, and parts.

Cheers
Pete

wow. thats a fair amount of work. hats off to you. look forward to updates

thanks, i have put a bit of time in, especailly hand mitring the bridges and getting the back axel width right. best to get it right first time.

although i am being a little pikey taking the bosses and braz-ons off old scrap bikes and re-cyling them. that is a pain in the ass but they would cost more than the frame to buy posh new italian steel parts.

shoudl have all the brazing doen next week, quick tidy up and a few last pics before i start painting. Although i have to see if my compressor still works after 10 years ina box! i will keep you posted.

Update:

i have imported some cook brother forks, and brazed on some brake bosses.
pbpic4272969.jpg

my brazing has come on hence the small fillet, but still need a bit of cleaning up:
http://is.pinkbike.com/photo/4272/pbpic4272967.jpg
I have finished the cable routing braz-ons and the frame and it all ready for a clean up and paint:
pbpic4272966.jpg

Now do i wait for my Christmas present of a new spray gun or get the base coat done at the paint shop down the road?

Cheers
Pete

Just get the painters to do it and get it built up. Can't wait to see it finished. Planning lots of Klunks for next year so get it finished and join me out on the trail. ;)

I might just do that, i have the paint to strip off the overbury as well so might get them both done at the same time. They can do the base cost and white and i will detail.I am thinking go the classic red and white schwinn colours for the clunker and red , white, blue for the overbury. I think i have at least 2 horus prep before they go to the paint shop.

biglev":3edvvxgy said:
I am thinking go the classic red and white schwinn colours for the clunker

Thanks for sharing your build -- looking great!

Are you going to pin-stripe the clunk?

How about the rest of the kit?

Back