lewis1641

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
Kona Fan
GT Fan
Feedback
View
i have wanted an rts since i was about 13. In fact the frame that was always used on my 'dream spec sheet' was an rts 1. A 2 is close enough for me.
I'd love to say this build is going to be my dream spec but it won't be, certainly not for now. That spec will be in mind for the future though.

I won this frame on ebay ages ago. Before bidding i asked if it was cracked and the seller confirmed it was sound. After paying he contacted me apologetically saying it is cracked after all. He then offered me the frame for half the auction price. The crack is where the rocker pivots on the bottom bracket. It has now been repaired by my friend to a high standard. It is 7005 alloy which i'm told isn't heat treated so can handle repairs.

My intentions as of now are simply to build it into a rideable state. I need to make sure i can get on with the size of it and also that i actually like riding it before i throw any cash at it.

So far i have installed the mag 21 sl titanium forks using a new but modern m sport headset (cheers dyna ti). The forks don't look pretty but are smooth and hold air. That's all that is important for now but they will be restored and rebuilt in the future. Front and rear mechs are black lx. I'd really like black lx cranks (or cooks, as per dream spec) but i have a decent sugino off a 93 lava dome in the shed so that will be lovely for now. Or i might use my kookas- not sure yet. Brakes will either be dia compe 987 or ritchey logic cantis. Bars and stem are kore, lx sti's and ritchey foam grips or onza ules will complete the front end. Seatpost will probably be a black syncros off my white fire mountain build. Saddle will probably be a black alpes. Wheels are going to be a problem though as the only really nice wheels i have are on the khs. So they will be whatever is in the shed. Hopefully i will like it, then i can justify a tidy up and a few special bits.

any suggestions? any way of identifying its age?

a9vdj7.jpg

2gue0qf.jpg

35jca6g.jpg

10pr76o.jpg

sounds good, i had also always wanted one, since about the same age, i remember when about 13/14 seeing one in the flesh, and just thought it was absolutely gorgeous, and now i have 2, when to ride in all weathers, and the best one for summer rides only

cool. the first one i ever saw was at lady bower reservoir. i was there for a commerative dam busters day and didnt realise how awesome it would be for biking. the rts i saw i heard rumbling down a hill first. tri spoke on the front and disc drive on the rear. awesome bike. i was smitten since

Going to be an early one with the original rear roller brake and black cro-mo triangle.

Build it 'properly' and do it justice Dave ;)

Thanks for the link. Could well be a 93.

Pickle. Its going to be a reasonable but not mint build for now. The parts are right i think apart from the wheels and chainset. They are from my 93 lava dome so at least they are period. If i start to do this properly it is soon going to get very expensive- rts's and trick parts go hand in hand! I'm in no position to blow money on this at the minute but i will concede and say the forks will be sorted out asap. The frame has patina, the forks look like they have been buried! Cheers for the encouragement though. Appreciated

well the build is coming along nicely now thanks to forum member mikef350. he had nothing to do the other day so took the bike and a box of filthy bits.

he called me up last night to have a look what he had done and to go through a few issues.

firstly the mechs were no good. the front was a bottom pull ( :oops: ) and the rear is shot. front is now a 739xt. rear is an stx donated by mike but will probably be swapped for a matching 739 i have in stock.

mike scratched his head for a while over the rear brake but with the help- of forum member slim's pictures and hints we have got the ritchey cantis working sweet using an aluminium straddle on its side. not pretty but discreet and effective. i will post pictures when it is done.

i had a bit of an idea with the tyres. in the shed i have a pair of amberwall duster pro fronts and a pair of cheap duro smoke copies. i was going to fit the dusters front and rear but decided to emulate the best tyre combo ever. fake smoke on the back and modern version of the dart on the front.

didnt have any grips in stock other than some awful modern lock on jobbies but they will do for now.

wheels are the shimano/bontrager ones out of my lava dome but i have just got my old wheels back which comprise goldtec rear and pace carbon front hubs with mavic rims. i know the pace hub would be better in a pace fork but it is the fork and hub of my dream so it is staying, for now! i will remove the repro pace sticker and the red anodising on both hubs though.

we (mike) hit bottom bracket problems and i need to find a slightly wider axle to fit the sugino cranks i have settled upon. hopefully i have one in stock as i really dont want to spend a penny on this build. costs so far are absolutely zero so needing to buy a bottom bracket will be a real blow

pictures to come when it is complete., cant wait to ride this!!

I'm so excited! My rts is built! Mike came round so we could try a few different cranks and bottom brackets. Sadly the only ones that fitted were a set of kookas that i'd planned to sell. Ideally i want some black lx cranks or at least something dark, not that i'm a tart! I took it out for a ride in the pouring rain, a sure sign of my excitement. First impressions, feels fast and comfortable and looks better than i'd imagined. Cheers mike!

Looking forward to seeing it finished :D . The RTS is the only realistic retro full suss I'm interested in as I too used to gaze lovingly at the pictures in MBUK bitd. Have to get me one one day. :cool:

Back