Orbit Legend (frame so far)

mattbrown

Retrobike Rider
Kona Fan
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Got this delivered yesterday, and won it for peanuts, it is in an ok state, a couple of dents, but nothing to major

Very interestingly put together, it has alu (i believe them to be) main lugs ,and then bonded tubes, has a 1 inch head tube, and the bottom bracket thread, isnt too deeply threaded (which is a blessing)

Having first taken off the pedal easily, the left hand crank, wasnt bolted to the bb, but looked like it might have been stuck, but a hacksaw and a few hits with a rubber mallet, and it popped off.

Now the bottom bracket, the left hand side cup, and sheel had taken a few hits by the state fo it, and was worried, that it wouldnt unscrew, easily, but before i tried that, i tried the rh side, as it looked in better shape, using a vice and the frame as leverage to unscrew it, another quite easy accomplishment, and surprisingly, even though the lh cup was a but bent etc, with a hammer and screw drive it popped out

I went ott with trying ot remove the stem, cutting off the cross bar until it would slip through the headset,

If i took notice of one of the laws of physics, i would have discovered ealrier that when i cut through the stem, and bolt, it would have released the tension and thus, came out sooner, and so not killed the headset.

also the skewers in the forks where bent, and the owner had used the bolt that helped secure the steerer tube to the crown, as a lock out for the fork???

Old school pete is hopefully posting me a test of this bike, and got to source some brake bolts

also has pain spalleted on it, but looks like emulsion, so nothing to serious

Attachments

• IMG_0054 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0054 (Large).jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 847
  • IMG_0055 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0055 (Large).jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 847
  • IMG_0056 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0056 (Large).jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 847
  • IMG_0057 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0057 (Large).jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 847
and more

Attachments

• IMG_0058 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0058 (Large).jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 841
  • IMG_0059 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0059 (Large).jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 841
  • IMG_0060 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0060 (Large).jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 841
  • IMG_0061 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0061 (Large).jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 841
Interesting, don't recall seeeing orbit build in anything but steel. Did they build these in house? Be interested to see the test too.

what are your plans?

1st, give it a good clean, i have a complete 1993 lx groupset i could put on it, will see what year this came out, only numbers on the frame is 5038, need ot source 1 inch forks, stem, and headset, but look at restoring the decals

the bottom bracket fitted, was an XT UN71 one (original??) and thave a weird looking headset (now destroyed)

It has a similar monostay seat and chan set up to elv12k's Vitus mountain bike, however the cable runs are different...

Probably not Sakae as the seat stay is different again.

That is cool though

Back