Muddy Fox Seeker 1989 - Updated!

ElCani

Devout Dirtbag
Hi

I bought this Muddy Fox Seeker on a whim for on the 'Bay. I was surprised when it arrived almost totally original, including Muddy Fox tyres (a bit cracked) and grips. Unfortunately the cranks were not original and the saddle clamp (where it attaches to the post) was b*****ed.

I've stripped, cleaned and reassembled everything, including all bearings. Bought new cable inners (the outers appear original, so I wanted to keep them) and have got a Suntour XCE crankset (minus rings) from a helpful Retrobiker (thanks dekerfintheshed).

Please ignore the seatpost, (ladies!) saddle and crankset, and apologies for the crap photos.

Not sure what to do with it - probably stick some slicks on and use it as a hack.

If anyone has some rings for the XCE cranks, or a Muddy Fox saddle they don't need, let me know.

4014613181_b71987cbe5_b.jpg

4014613681_2e50789eb2_b.jpg

4015378706_61fbdeed60_b.jpg

4014614501_0df126e92f_b.jpg

Anyone got a view on what this might be worth?

Cheers!

Holy crud! Did you time travel back to 1989 to get hold of that one?
Seriously, that is in pretty good nick and I do like it.

ElCani":23yjxhz8 said:
Anyone got a view on what this might be worth?

If it gives you a warm fuzzy feeling inside then it's worth more than money.
If not... I couldn't really tell you.

That's the problem with working on bikes, I become so attached to them I want to keep them. Problem is it's bike number four (although first retro MTB).

Some Schwalbe City Jets and a longer seatpost (I'm 6'5) have just arrived, so I think it will have to stay.

The reason I asked about value was mainly to see if it was too good for a hack/pub bike. I only paid £50, but saw a 1988 Seeker in nice condition go for about £150 on eBay recently.

Cheers

ElCani":2nwuan9d said:
The reason I asked about value was mainly to see if it was too good for a hack/pub bike.

:LOL: :LOL: I know the feeling. I keep trying to build up a hack bike, but they always end up a little too nice for hacking around on, so I have to get another cheap bike off here or eBay. Then I'll spend time and money getting it period correct or just replacing/polishing parts so I like the way it looks and rides.
Always seem to end up in the same position ie 'needing' another bike.

I suggest that it's worth leaving a decent lock at the pub and enjoying the journeys to and from.

That is so nice, I love the early MF's , yours looks stunning.

Is it me or do early MTB's with quality groupsets clean up really well, My breezer was filthy and grimey when I picked it up but a bit of elbow greece and it looks as good as new with all origial parts.

:cool: It's a shame my Seeker Mega didn't have a Suntour group on it really. I would like a Suntour equiped retro.

Carl.

That was the one I sold. Found it outside my flats one day minus the chainrings but otherwise complete. Glad it will get some use and restoration, unfortunately I would never have the time to attempt to get it back to the full state of originality

Update:

In pretty much it's final form now, will be used as an urban hack. Suntour XCE cranks on, with non-retro 'road compact' chainrings. I kind of wish I'd gone for all black tyres as the skinwall CityJets are a bit manky looking. Oh well. Old seat re-fitted, but the post is new (needed a long one).

The quality of the original components has been evident when cleaning everything up and it rides very sweetly.

Cheers

4053325867_d8f38fa10b_b.jpg

4053324975_f978ed3df6_b.jpg

I like too. except the roadie tyres But then i hate roadie on mtb's so no matter. That is in such good condition. lucky man.
I'd buy a couple of locks

Back