My Holy Grail!!!! first time pics up (kona content)

nporternz

Gold Trader
Marin Fan
Feedback
View
Well - thought it was time to post some pics if my holy grail now i have had it a year and finally decided what to do with it.

This is a 1997 Kona Kilauea. So what, you may ask, we've seen plenty of those on here.......look closer!!!

The Kilauea is listed in 1997 as matte blue with P2 forks - well this is definitely not matte blue and has marzocchi forks.

This is in fact something altogether rarer (thanks for the help Anthony!!). This is a 1997 Kona Kilauea SE. It is in no catalogues and there are no other pictures of them anywhere as far i can find. The only place it is listed is Bikepedia where it is listed as plumb blue. At first I didnt think that bike was this bike because I thought plum blue would be a more purple colour....

but plumb blue is different and the dictionary includes a reference to plumb as meaning extremely. So plumb blue in fact means extremely blue - which it certainly is

Anyway, a quick email to kona may have unearthed some more information. The guy seems to remember that it was released North America only and mid season (hence not in any catalogues) and with a run of between 100-200 bikes/frames and the frame was colour matched to a limited release of the Z1 forks

Would that make it one of the rarer Kona bikes??

I have managed to find someone in NZ who can reproduse the decals as transfers and can colour match the paint on the frame forks etc. I also managed to get a NOS Columbus Cyber Sticker

Going to build up as a top bike but without too much bling - so full M950 and Control Tech/Race Face finishing kit

hope you like it and looking forward to hearing some comments

Attachments

• IMG_0022.JPG
    IMG_0022.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 3,286
  • IMG_0021.JPG
    IMG_0021.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 3,286
  • IMG_0020.JPG
    IMG_0020.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 3,286
  • IMG_0019.JPG
    IMG_0019.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 3,286
So you're planning a respray ?

I like the idea of building it up with non-bling parts for this one :D

Is your Yeti on the >1998 forum ? Would like to see some pics of that one aswell. Especialy when there are Airlines on it. Hoping 'Airlines' means Shimano airlines... and wondering the set up.

And for now..: Looking forward to see the Kona completed with the 950 components.. :shock: :p

Leave the paint! If that is what makes it rare then why get rid?

Patina is good!

I agree, if that paint job is what makes it so rare, then leave that alone! If you have a rare bike, then keep it as close to original/mint as possible. Find another old Kilauea and give it a respray and new decals.

Kona_Sha":2ex2glu7 said:
I agree, if that paint job is what makes it so rare, then leave that alone! If you have a rare bike, then keep it as close to original/mint as possible. Find another old Kilauea and give it a respray and new decals.

Couldn't agree more.

Repaint! :D and while they are making some decals up get 'SE' cut in the same font to go laong side it.

would look lovely with a fresh paint job and full M952 :D

Hi Nick, who is doing the decals for you? I need some for the Vitus and for my god daughter's 24" single speed which is in the works.

Good luck with the rebuild, should look good when finished. Have it resprayed (in my opinion), oh and keep the flat handlebar.

Back