94? Carrera Krakatoa

chambo34

Retro Guru
Ok my Carerra Krakatoa 'flex' was/ is not everybody's cup of tea and slummed by some, but hey it was the first new bike I ever bought, it has a Tange butted frameset(I guess maintubes only).
It's still in good nick all the bearings inc BB are still in top condition which just shows how good lower end Shimano stuff was/ can be.
Originally it had a Girvin? (copy?) stem and bars with in built curved bar ends, but I dropped it jumping a BIG log and bent the bars and stem nearly dislocated the shoulder as well!.
Not too bothered about the stem as it had gotten all sloppy anyway( do all Girvins do this)

I semi retired the bike end of Winter 07 due to rims being shot..you could see through where they had worn! The Shimano Acera hubs were/are still dead smooth, rear casette was also worn out.
I have dragged her out of retirement fitted a decent unmatched pair of wheels, a new pair of bars and borrowed the Velocity stem from my 92 Clockwork until it needs it back.
Still has original Altus A20 mechs that though a little sloppy still work fine, it's been used in all weathers on and off road and there is no rust at all.

total cost inc buying new shifter/brake 'pods' new grips and bars is £28 all in and she's back up and running.
I cannot guess what mileage I have put on it but enough to wear the original Bontranger rims out, it has been cleaned every time though never jet washed, and lubed and maintained regularly, I reckon I will get another 15 years from it yet!

Attachments

• DSC02383.JPG
    DSC02383.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 3,328
forgot to add cranks are Stronglight or Ofmega 28/38/48 I forget as lettering has rubbed, off shifters are Deore LX, and another pic...

Attachments

• DSC02384.JPG
    DSC02384.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 3,321
Excellent - that's precisely what bicycles were originally manufactured for - go for it :!:

1000000 karma points :cool:

My first propper bike was a krakatoa too. Mine was a fit earlier but i really liked yours when they came out. For the amount of use yours has had i t is in very good shape.

to be fair I am a bit anal when it comes to cleanliness and maintainance people reckon I have OCD.
It's probably paid off in this instance though..it actualy rides ok and never let me down until the gears started to slip due to teeth wearing and then it got me home.

Back