Sunn ti singlespeed

sylvain

BoTM Winner
This is my singlespeed, I don't think I've posted here before even though I've had it a good few years.

It's been ridden in UK, European and World SS championships :D

ss2.jpg

Frame - Sunn/Morati ti (circa '97-'98 )
Fork - Saracen ti '95
Headset - King pewter
Stem - Ibis 130mm
Handlebar - Titec Hellion
Grips - Haro
Brakes - Avid Arch Supreme
Brake Levers - Box
Shifters - nope
Front Derailleur - nope
Rear Derailleur - nope
Cassette - White 16/17t
Chain - Sram PC1
Cranks - Morati 175mm
Chainrings - Spot 34t
Bottom Bracket - Syncros ti double row (perfect for SS!)
Pedals - Shimano 858
Quick Releases - front SRP ti bolt, rear White Industries
Rims - Mavic 717 ceramic
Hubs - White Industries ENO
Tyres - Front Klein Death Grip SL 2.35, rear Ritchey ZMax WCS 2.1
Saddle - WTB SST2K
Seatpost - Moots layback

I've put a fixed sprocket on the other side of the White hub, but only ridden it once so far ...

Very nice mate.

Question though:
Why fit a lay-back post and then push the seat so far forward? Sorta negates any benefit of lay-back, no?

Or was it just the fact that you had a Moots post lying around doing nothing? :LOL:

;)

Simple: when I got the post I had a 110mm stem on, and then I found that "long as a cat leg" Ibis.

I don't have Moots posts "lying around" ... ;)

But I do think the layback Moots is gorgeous, and the straight one anodine. Zoom had a steel one with the same design that was really nice too.

As you well know I was only kidding about having a Moots post lying around. ;)

Yeah, lay-back posts do look cool, mind you I like the Moots straight posts too, just not keen on their clamp and prying the thing apart, an effective clamp no doubt but I'd prefer not to do that. Having said that, it's not like you're doing it that often!

Well, it's happened to me twice in singlespeed races that, after jumping back on the bike or after a nasty bump, the inner bit twisted within the clamp, resulting in an upwards-facing nose saddle. Not nice. And no matter how hard you punch on it to put it back in place it won't move once it's done.

It's not that the clamp could have been tighter, as there was no more travel left for the bolts. It's far from a perfect system altogether. I think the Syncros one is perfect.

But, it looks cool ... :)

Thanks for the info, the clamp has put me off buying one in the past.

I've had the nose pointing in the air effect with a USE Alien Ti seatpost when I was riding in the Peaks, but that was my fault for not tightening the bolts quite enough. Damned uncomfortable :shock: and as you said, no amount of bashing on the nose of the saddle will get it back down again!

I got that with an Alien on Friday - riding home after a few beers and playing Eddy Merckx off the traffic lights I slipped out of my pedal and bounced my gentlemanly bits off the saddle, tilting the nose down. Even though it was only a couple of degrees, it made me realise how much I've hit the 'sweet spot' in dialling it in, as it felt bloody uncomfortable the rest of the way home (though that may have been my testes swelling up).

Back on track, that's a very nice SS. Planning on doing SSUK (Brizzle) and SSWC (Aviemore) this year? If so, being London based, how are you planning on getting up to Scotland?

Back