trek 8700 project

24pouces

BoTM Triple Crown
BoTM Winner
rBotM Winner
PoTM Winner
Ok, there's a lot of work on it, but the last week-end, I did a first assembly :
I have found all the parts for building it near as shown in the catalog:

- Suntour XC pro groupo (with top system front derailleur)
- front A-TAC stem (it was on the 8900 with the rockshox…)
- Big fork tange prestige fork (I've got the original, but too rust : The black on the picture is NOS)
- Dia compe brakes
- sugino crank
- matrix titan rims laced on bulleyes hubs…

So :
trek.jpg

lateralp.jpg

postey.jpg

bullarriere.jpg

bulleyefront.jpg

deraileur.jpg

frontqa.jpg

The project :
page1.jpg

page3.jpg

page4.jpg
[/quote]

The BB and the wheels bearings are good. A lot of clean for each items.

The first big job : drawing the decals for cut them in adhesive vinyl, pickle the frame and fork and respray them in neon color. But I have to take care with the carbon fiber tubes.

A long job and project :D :D :D :LOL:

I had that bike! It was my first decent bike back in the day, I managed to break the Tange Fork and knock the rear end about an inch out of alignment depsite being a 10 stone weakling (at the time)! Great bike! looking forward to seeng it finished

its good to see another TREK bike here, I think they are underrepresented :(
nice project and good luck with all that things on the TO DO list :)

I read once somewhere. that You stops buying retrobikes :cool:

And seriously: very nice bike to rebuild
I hope that you restore it to its former glory
Good luck!!!

:LOL: :LOL:
Yes, I decided (try…) to stop buying bikes, and I didn't hve bought a bike or frame since last february !
I have bought this trek frame there's more than a year ago. But, I had a look in my items boxes and I check up if I had all the parts for that frame. ;)

Yes, Trek is underrepresented, but without this bike, they didn't show a lot of dream bike. For me, the 8700 was the only "dream" bike they made. In the biginning of the 90ies, they were the "competitor" brand of Specialized.
For me, it was a funny oldschool carbon fiber frame, with the neon orange painting.

Gawd I really want this!

Love to build one up.

I have the catalogue at home with these in it - many hours drooling over the top end ones...

Very nice indeed :cool: Did this model come with the grafton brakes as well? Good luck hunting them down if so ;)

edit...just read the catalogue specs :oops:

A few memories of these frames.

The Alpine Bikes Aberdeen owner clamped the top tube in a workshop vice... it cracked - they cut the frame up and had the lugs on display :cool: I wonder if they still have them :?

Andrew Wright who had one rode it for years with a large hole in the chainstay due to chainsuck - the back end of these things is near solid alloy so he didn't worry about it.

Latest posts

Back