Easton Folly (or it's amazing what I can spend money on)

Tallpaul

Gold Trader
For some reason best known to myself, I am building a bike which I will never ride. To compound the issue I am building it with parts which are a mixture of the rare and unrideable.

Parts have come from as far afield as New Zealand, Canada and the US. In keeping with the unusable theme, I've managed to source parts that are either already broken or are highly likely to break if I look at them for too long (Onza HO's).

I'm not really sure how far I'll go with the build. I'm fairly sure it'll never have rims, I plan to just bolt in the hubs with some pretty skewers, but I may add an XTR M900 groupset.

Currently it all sits in my living room looking pretty. I kinda like it there and I think it's where it'll stay, an homage to the worst excesses of the halcyon days of mountain biking.

Lo and behold my 1994 Answer Manitou HT:

SPECIFICATION

Frame: 1994 Answer Manitou Hard-Tail - 18"

Fork: Answer Manitou Three (with NOS 1 1/4" Steerer)

Headset: Dia-Compe Aheadset with CK Top-Cap
Stem: Ringle Zooka (NOS)
Handlebar: Answer Hyperlite

Brake Lever: Tech Lite
Brakes: Onza HO
Cantilever cable hangers: Onza Chill Pills (NOS)

Cranks: Topline (complete with cracked taper)

Skewers: Ringle Cam-Twist

Saddle: Selle Italia Flite Ti Transalp
Seatpost: ControlTech
Seatpost Binder: Ringle Cam-Twist

PICTURES

DSC00963.jpg

DSC00964.jpg

DSC00965.jpg

DSC00967.jpg

DSC00968.jpg

Nice idea, taking the folly of a bike you'll never ride, indeed can't ride, to the logical conclusion.

Now if I can only persuade The Little Boss to let me have a bike in the lounge....

see, thats the sort of thing i do. and no one else around me seems to get it!

some of the older/worn out parts i have have become "ornaments", my friends and family don't get it, to me a higly polished set of record 8speed sprockets on their original little frame that came in the box stands as a testament that i rode across france from caen to geneva in 1998.

my fausto coppi galaxy frame sits on display in my bedroom, a happy constant reminder that it took me up alp d'huez

the way i see it is use it till it is no longer usable then display it if it looks nice.

:D

Latest posts

Back