project ghettobike: 1996 fire mountain

cce

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
having acquired bike hoarder's 1996 fire mountain (the blue one with the dent), i've decided it shall become.....

PROJECT GHETTOBIKE

basically i'm going to see how cheaply i can build it

costs so far

1996 Fire Mountain frame - £12
heavy black rigid fork - swapped for a pint of doom bar
specialized stem, ART bar - £2 at the bristol bike jumble
deore disc hub on Alex rim - £1 at the bristol bike jumble cos the bearings are shot
cane creek S2 headset (found in my toolbox, could probably use new bearings but the cups are scabby on the outside so it goes on ghettobike!)
IRC notos XC tyres - using man-maths these are free because i replaced them with some i got for free
8 speed cassette - was in my toolbox so technically it's free

total costs for something that's starting to look like a bike £15 a pint...

pics later

cce":3unhojjb said:
having acquired bike hoarder's 1996 fire mountain (the blue one with the dent), i've decided it shall become.....

PROJECT GHETTOBIKE

basically i'm going to see how cheaply i can build it

costs so far

1996 Fire Mountain frame - £12
heavy black rigid fork - swapped for a pint of doom bar
specialized stem, ART bar - £2 at the bristol bike jumble
deore disc hub on Alex rim - £1 at the bristol bike jumble cos the bearings are shot
cane creek S2 headset (found in my toolbox, could probably use new bearings but the cups are scabby on the outside so it goes on ghettobike!)
IRC notos XC tyres - using man-maths these are free because i replaced them with some i got for free
8 speed cassette - was in my toolbox so technically it's free

total costs for something that's starting to look like a bike £15 a pint...

pics later

cool! i have a bike that only cost £2 to build! it is a heap of old tat tho.

rear wheel is pinched from my kilauea, so ignore that. the rest of it owes me £15 so far....

Attachments

• 05102009034 (Large).jpg
    05102009034 (Large).jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 2,110
Thats such a nice blue on the FM :cool:

I have a rear wheel if you want it, Its black and araya with DX or XT hub, yours if you want it dude. I will dig it out and let you know ,if you want it.....

I love bargain projects, I think you should name it Peter as its Blue and being made from odds and ends :LOL:

Cheers

GM

lovely - can i swing by and pick it up on the weekend? anything you need atm i might have lying round by way of exchagne?

I live in the ghetto; the bikes parked around here don't look nearly that nice...so I take exception with this thread :evil:

;) :LOL:

Back